Fitbit

Options
Hi There, I have a question? I just synced my Fitbit to fitness pal..MyFitnessPal took my TOTAL day steps off my Fitbit converted it to calories available (which were a lot) this gave me a huge amount of calories available? I'm worried the calculation will not reflect right on my intake calories and will eat too much... Anyone else has this issue...Thank you

Replies

• paddydiver24
    paddydiver24 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Garmin does the same thing. Don't fall in to that trap...lol
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you set your activity level to... If you put sedentary and you have a bunch of steps, Fitbit will adjust the calories for you. My Fitbit is pretty accurate with this.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you set your activity level to... If you put sedentary and you have a bunch of steps, Fitbit will adjust the calories for you. My Fitbit is pretty accurate with this.

^^ this
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    gailic1 wrote: »
    Hi There, I have a question? I just synced my Fitbit to fitness pal..MyFitnessPal took my TOTAL day steps off my Fitbit converted it to calories available (which were a lot) this gave me a huge amount of calories available? I'm worried the calculation will not reflect right on my intake calories and will eat too much... Anyone else has this issue...Thank you

No actually. Not an issue, per design.

Fitbit sent a figure to MFP of Steps, much like weight, or glasses of water, and MFP displayed that figure.
    Merely a number, nothing more done with it.

Fitbit also kept track of your daily calorie burn based on distance moved, HR during workouts, and base calorie burn per BMR.
    And it sends that figure with time stamp to MFP.

MFP takes that figure, estimates rest of the day per it's own activity level you selected, and creates an adjustment to correct itself to what is likely a better estimate (because you selected from 4 rough levels for non-exercise daily, Fitbit is seeing all activity).

It's probably closer than you think - unless your stride length is WAY off and you do around 20K steps.
    Or you have some heart issue that causes it to be elevated or raise up on the slightest activity, so it used HR-based calorie burn for a huge chunk of daily activity.
    Or you logged some exercise on MFP and got the am/pm mixed up and the workouts got double logged on Fitbit.

Have you ever gotten an idea of your daily activity level and possible calorie burn through some other means - or totally new to the idea of how much you may burn?
    How much distance did Fitbit say you did on the day of big adjustment?
    Did you log any workouts manually on MFP?