Does anyone use any other program besides MFP?

Options
I love MFP...BUT.....I have used Weight Watchers in the past. And though I am losing weight while using MFP I lost more qujickly when I used WW. I guess I am just getting a little discouraged in the amount of time its taken me to lose such a small amount of weight. Yes I know slow and steady wins the race but I just want to go a little faster in the begining and thensaty ahead, Ya know? I like the freedom I get with MFP doing WW made me a little cranky because I felt way to restricted and that lead me to not stick with it. I quess really I am just venting and wondering if anyone else uses any other kind of Weight loss program.

Replies

• tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com for some of the forums, Elitefts.com for weightlifting info & buying stuff, match.com for ... well, never mind that one.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I haven't used any other program. What I love about MFP is that it's just a tool to help you develop a healthy lifestyle. There aren't any "points" or weird stuff like that...it's just keeping track of what you eat and how much you exercise. And the support system is great.

I think you kind of answered your own question...you lost more with WW but didn't want to stick with it because it wasn't really sustainable. So what's the point of that? MFP might be slower, but if it's something you can live with long-term, then it's totally worth it!

And...it's free!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I follow pretty closely the Body for Life program.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    That would be high treason, punishible by plateau and/or muscle loss!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    I've actually combined a couple. I count my WW points, while cycling the points (high and low days to keep metabolism guessing), and I track my food on MFP. I know its a little much but while I'm at home right now with no job I have the time. It also helps me to analyze the quality of food I'm putting in my mouth (too mnay mg of sodium the other day explained a weight gain). Its just about finding what works for you and you are right (fo me anyways) going off MFP calories I was losing slower there is just something about WW system that works.
  • brarew
    brarew Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have literally tried every thing out there. I am about to turn 46 and so far I have lost 35 pounds on MFP since June 15 of this year. I have modified it for me though. Like it tells me I can eat 1200 per day...bull crap. If I eat over 800 cals per day I either don't lose or stay the same. It also says I can eat all my exercise cals...again bull crap. I earn several thousand cals a day exercising, if I ate those I'd weigh more than when I started. I started at 204.4 and this morning I weighed 169.4. I primarily use MFP for encouraging friends and to keep track of my calories and exercise, but I do NOT follow their guidelines. I tried that for the first two weeks and gained weight. Everyone's body is different and you have to find your perfect balance. Today I ate Mexican at lunch...My lunch was over 700 cals so for dinner I will have a salad and call it a day. I don't deprive myself, if I want something I have it (in moderation) then make up for it on the next meal or exercise. Hang in there. How tall are you, I'm short and I think I carry more in my waist. I have a before and during pic posted on my profile, you are welcome to check it out. Anyway, you can do it if I can, just need to find your balance, if you eat 900 cals and don't lose, cut it back or increase your exercise till you see lose, then you'll know you have the magic formula and it will fall off. Good luck, holla if you need me!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have literally tried every thing out there. I am about to turn 46 and so far I have lost 35 pounds on MFP since June 15 of this year. I have modified it for me though. Like it tells me I can eat 1200 per day...bull crap. If I eat over 800 cals per day I either don't lose or stay the same. It also says I can eat all my exercise cals...again bull crap. I earn several thousand cals a day exercising, if I ate those I'd weigh more than when I started. I started at 204.4 and this morning I weighed 169.4. I primarily use MFP for encouraging friends and to keep track of my calories and exercise, but I do NOT follow their guidelines. I tried that for the first two weeks and gained weight. Everyone's body is different and you have to find your perfect balance. Today I ate Mexican at lunch...My lunch was over 700 cals so for dinner I will have a salad and call it a day. I don't deprive myself, if I want something I have it (in moderation) then make up for it on the next meal or exercise. Hang in there. How tall are you, I'm short and I think I carry more in my waist. I have a before and during pic posted on my profile, you are welcome to check it out. Anyway, you can do it if I can, just need to find your balance, if you eat 900 cals and don't lose, cut it back or increase your exercise till you see lose, then you'll know you have the magic formula and it will fall off. Good luck, holla if you need me!
    I have been on the diet roller coaster for years....

Honestly, you may have screwed up your metabolism. The only way to fix it is to eat a healthy number of calories; you will probably gain weight while it's self-correcting, but then the weight will start to come off again in a healthy way. 800 calories per day is healthy in no one's books.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have used Fitday.com since January and recently switched to myfitnesspal. My main reason for switching was the fitday app for the iphone is horrible. I have concentrated on always burning 500 more calories per day than I consume and that has made me successful. Burgers, fries, pizza are allowed BUT must be budgetted!!! We had steak for dinner the other day with mashed potatoes, etc so I ran 3.8 miles so that for the day overall I'd still be over 500 burned vs consumed. I lost on average 1.3 pounds per week (some weeks .1 pounds, others 1.8 pounds). I find eating what I want stops cravings and binges on bad foods. I eat HALF a cheeseburger, sub fries for veggies (eat 3 fries of whoever i'm with), ONE slice of pizza and a salad with fat free italian dressing, etc. I find this method most successful
    6959012.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I use fitbit.com to coincide with my tracker. It's also how I figure out my calorie burn for my exercise.
  • ashleygladue
    Options
    I use MFP and weight watchers together. It works great for me!! I just count all my points for WW then add all my food like i usually do in MFP and i never go over my calorie goal when i get all my WW points!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

I would strongly discourage this comment. 800 calories a day is NOT healthy. Yes, you'll lose weight... but there is a difference between being 169 and healthy and 169 and unhealthy. I'm not being catty, just using logic. Chances are if 1200 cals a day didn't let you lose weight it is simply because your body needed MORE calories due to your exercise regime. Anyone can lose weight on 800 calories a day. I do believe you have a lot to learn about eating healthy, sure you're losing weight, but not properly IMO.

To the OP - I have used WW before and found great success with it. I think that either program, MFP or WW works if followed properly. MFP takes macronutrients into consideration and allows you to adjust. If you're not seeing a loss, maybe up your protein and drop your carbs for a couple weeks or vice versa. Try eating back your exercise, or not eating them back depending on what you're currently doing.
  • MartiTennisMom
    Options
    I used Weight Watchers online for a while, but their database sucks compared to MFP, most chain restaurants not listed, most vegetarian foods not listed-- And you have to pay, yet the still have ads all over the place. No thanks.
  • sittoojo5
    sittoojo5 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No matter what "program" you use, the key is eating sensibly - and counting calories. You said it, loosing slowly but surely is the sensible way to do it! I belong to TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) again we learn to eat everything within moderation, exercise, keep a food diary and weight in weekly. You must eat enough to sustain a "healthy" body - and exercise regularly. It is the only way to do it and be healthy for the rest of your life. I over 65 - I've been battling the battle of the bulge most of my life and I finally realized that fad diets, pills, not eating, etc. just doesn't work in the long run. A change to good healthy eating habits and exercise does. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • jamieannmcgee
    Options
    i use the tap and track app for my ipod since for some reason i cant download this app. it lets me sync to their website, so i know i wont forget what i ate that day. then when i can get on the computer, i log on to T&T and MFP and transfer everything. i use a few different apps on the ipod for like quick 5 minute work outs because i have a nearly 9 month old baby, and sometimes a 4 year old, or 5 year old, or both to watch. so its hard to do much else.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I use fitbit.com to coincide with my tracker. It's also how I figure out my calorie burn for my exercise.

Me too.
  • tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper.com and the iPhone app to track my walking, hiking, running and biking miles and minutes.
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com for some of the forums, Elitefts.com for weightlifting info & buying stuff, match.com for ... well, never mind that one.

ha. I tried match.com once. They said they didn't' have any matches for me. How uplifting is that? LOL
  • cam14117
    Options
    Brarew,
    Don't let anyone discourage you. As have you, I'm 46 and tried everything under the sun to lose weight. Whether it was the diet's fault or my fault for not staying on it, the bottom line is that nothing worked until until I got drastic and went very-low-calorie, then I lost 65 lbs. I've since taken a break from drastic for a few months and now I'm back at it to lose the last 40 lbs. For some, maybe most people slow and steady does the trick. For some us it doesn't (and we know because we've tried) so we've got to do what we've got to do. Even my doctor has said that if it works and I feel ok then I should do it because being overweight is more unhealthy going drastic for a time. Also there are plenty of studies that show that a continuous low-calorie diet is very healthy and leads to longer lives, (think japanese)

What works best for me is to plan it out instead of tracking after the fact. It really helps me be prepared and have what I need on hand. I use MFP to calc the totals of my plan to make sure I'm on track and if so, I just follow the plan. When I want to maintain, I find that simply avoiding simple carbs like bread, potatoes, sugar, etc, works very well. I just have to remember that an "occassional" treat means once or twice a month, not once a day. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!