Runners, music or no music?

Options
2»

Replies

• FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Without. I run on a trail and would rather hear the birds chirping. Also, I need to be able to hear cyclists and/or rapists coming up behind me so I don't get run over/raped.

I usually run with music and only put one earbud in so I can hear others/animals coming up behing me. Regardless of your music/no music choice always be careful and do your best to stay safe! :flowerforyou:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm a music, it helps me pace and gives me energy.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Without. I run on a trail and would rather hear the birds chirping. Also, I need to be able to hear cyclists and/or rapists coming up behind me so I don't get run over/raped.

Exactly.

I ran on a trail this morning just as the sun was coming up. I heard so many amazing things. The owls were the best part. I think it was as owl, it could have been a rapist.

When I'm in the neighborhood I listen to audio books, but I don't have too. I enjoy running without as well.
  • JamesPridgen
    Options
    I myself am at the crossing point (seems like some other are also lol). I ran years ago with no music, then I got into music and loved it! Recently, one day while I was running my headphones quit, I imediately noticed that I was able to keep my breathing in rythem with my steps a hole lot easier. Lately my biggest foccus has been on controlling my breathing and keeping it in some type of rythem. It seems to be a lot easier with out music, but my music seems to take my mind off of the distance or fatigue when I get tired. So I am at a cross road in deciding wether or not to use music or not, I think Im going to try turning it down while I run so I can just focus on my breathing and hopefully Ill get my breathing down to habbit so I can get back to my music :).

9812079.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Treadmill - ALWAYS, I'd die of boredom otherwise

Road - MOSTLY, if I'm with a friend we spend the time chatting, but if I'm by myself it's on in the background and the only time I really pay attn to it is when I'm chugging up a long hill or in a boring part of the run.

Trail - RARELY, too many distractions and the need to pay attention to others passing me, or listening for dangers (wild animals!)

Races - RARELY, I prefer to enjoy the atmosphere of the race, and the camaraderie of the other runners.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I ran on a trail this morning just as the sun was coming up. I heard so many amazing things. The owls were the best part. I think it was as owl, it could have been a rapist.

When I'm in the neighborhood I listen to audio books, but I don't have too. I enjoy running without as well.

There is a fine line between rapists and owls.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I started out running with music, but its so hot here i am soaking wet with sweat and the ear plugs won't stay in. I am constantly having to adjust them and paying attention to that. I have been running without anything for the last month and I don't miss the music at all.
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    Like many people who have posted in this thread, I too use to listen to music when running. But, I prefer not to listen to it anymore. I never listened to it during practice, but would listen to it when I ran on the treadmill and outside ( a few years ago). Then and even now I noticed that I put myself in a trance like state when I run...its almost as it I zone out ( kind of werid I know) I can describe it as those experiences you have when you drive somewhere and when you get to your destination your like, " wait, how did I just get here". I noticed that when I would listen to music, when the song changed, it pulled me out of that zone. I wasn't focusing on the words or music at all, the music was just a random distraction I thought I needed. When im on the treadmill I watch tv, but don't listen to for the same reason. Besides running outside alone sometimes can be sketchy.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've been using Motion Traxx podcasts for the last several runs and find that beats per minute really does make a difference. At my current level of ability, 160 bpm slows me down and anything less than that feels really awkward. 180 bpm is still a little past my comfort zone for a 3 run, and 165 or 170 bpm feels pretty good. I've just about come to the conclusion that music in the right bpm range can help, but the wrong music - including practically all of the music I listen to for pure enjoyment - just gets in my way. I think I'll try a run without the mp3 player, which I probably should do anyway for safety reasons, as I run roadside.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    When I run outside alone or on the treadmill, I DO listen to music.
    When I run with friends I do not listen to music. I have done a couple of treadmill runs without music, which is hard but at least one time I have ran the TM with a buddy beside me and it wasn't as bad.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think Im going to try turning it down while I run so I can just focus on my breathing and hopefully Ill get my breathing down to habbit so I can get back to my music :).

I do this too. I listen to music sometimes, but always at a lower volume so that I can listen to my breathing. Best of both worlds.