Seeking Favorite Low Carb Recipes

2»

Replies

• I also suggest if looking for low carb recipes or tips... join the Low Carber Daily Forum group on MFP.

A lot of low carbers or ketoers do not like to post about it in general forums, where there is a sense of cyber bullying against anyone who chooses these ways of eating.

Reading and chatting with others in the low carb groups, you find that a lot of people cut carbs for specific health reasons (myself included). Autoimmune disorders, Diabetics, Crohn's disease, other ulcer disorders, etc. and are also battling with the depression that often accompanies illness. The groups feel like more of a safe and supportive environment!

Case in point: you got maybe 10-15 suggestions here. In the group, I'm following a thread with 75 pages of recipes and suggestions. And no woos on a single one!!

Other groups with low carb recipes:
    Keto cooking (not active discussions, but one female who posts a lot of recipes).

Recipe swap (again not very active, but lots of threads to read through with recipes).

Thanks for this suggestion. I will check them out. I am not very active in discussions at all since being here. Have just been weighing, measuring and doing this on my own. Just achieved 51 pounds lost and only 11.2 to go to goal. So would be nice to have some new recipes.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Spaghetti squash. It doesn't taste like pasta, but it's very tasty and works well with many sauces.

Normally when eating low carb I don't use special recipes, though, or substitutes. Common breakfasts such as vegetable omelets and common lunches such as salads with protein on them (and nuts or cheese or olives or avocado, etc., as well as other veg) or homemade soup are naturally or easy to make low carb. For a dinner I think of protein, starch, and veg when not eating low carb, and so if doing low carb I tend to mostly just eliminate the starchy side and sometimes replace with lower carb foods that still feel somewhat starchy for me, like winter squash or roasted root veg like turnips, beets, rutabaga, radishes, etc. If you feel like you really need something to play the role of rice in a stir fry, something like cauliflower rice works, but I would often just do it with extra veg -- I typically add cauliflower or zucchini to many of my stirfries and sauces, so making them into rice or noodles is not necessary IMO. If the smaller size pieces makes a meal feel more balanced, however, why not? I'd also recommend ricing broccoli stems as another option for the "rice."
  • lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Spaghetti squash. It doesn't taste like pasta, but it's very tasty and works well with many sauces.

Normally when eating low carb I don't use special recipes, though, or substitutes. Common breakfasts such as vegetable omelets and common lunches such as salads with protein on them (and nuts or cheese or olives or avocado, etc., as well as other veg) or homemade soup are naturally or easy to make low carb. For a dinner I think of protein, starch, and veg when not eating low carb, and so if doing low carb I tend to mostly just eliminate the starchy side and sometimes replace with lower carb foods that still feel somewhat starchy for me, like winter squash or roasted root veg like turnips, beets, rutabaga, radishes, etc. If you feel like you really need something to play the role of rice in a stir fry, something like cauliflower rice works, but I would often just do it with extra veg -- I typically add cauliflower or zucchini to many of my stirfries and sauces, so making them into rice or noodles is not necessary IMO. If the smaller size pieces makes a meal feel more balanced, however, why not? I'd also recommend ricing broccoli stems as another option for the "rice."

All great ideas! I have not made spaghetti squash in such a long time. I do remember using it to replace spaghetti very successfully. Thanks for the reminder. I have been using zucchini spirals recently. I had been buying expensive riced cauliflower and found that using frozen cauliflower to be just as good. Not to mention a third of the price. I love soups and now the weather is getting colder really will turn my focus on producing some of those. Thanks again. Appreciate your time and excellent suggestions. : )