Green Veggie Dish

Options
brandi_84
brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
I need help coming up with ideas for a green veggie side dish for a dinner party.
I feel like I typically make too many starchy sides. Last time, I made a green bean casserole that I thought was amazing but no one else ate it.

Replies

• broccolini992
    broccolini992 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's not just veggies, but I like making green pasta salad with pearl couscous, peas, chopped broccoli, spinach, and pesto. Super easy and super good (and super green!)
  • brandi_84
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions!
    @broccolini992
    @just_Tomek
  • ctupdu
    ctupdu Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe a Broccoli Salad. The one I'm thinking of has broccoli, red onion, bacon, and raisins with a dressing on it.
  • brandi_84
    Options
    I love broccoli. That might be something to try. Thanks.
    @ctupdu What kind of dressing?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    When you have a lot to do with a dinner party I prefer green veggie sides that can be made in advance and warmed up as needed or are very easy to do the last minute.

Made in advance salads
    cucumber +Japanese goma dressing

Cooked in advance but can be reheated (especially if left a little undercooked)
    roast broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus
    stir fried snow peas, green beans, mange tout, green pepper, frozen peas
    braised red cabbage

Quick to do at the last minute (while meat is resting)
    sauteed spinach or watercress
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    ctupdu wrote: »
    Maybe a Broccoli Salad. The one I'm thinking of has broccoli, red onion, bacon, and raisins with a dressing on it.

This is the best salad! High calorie with the mayo/sugar/apple cider vinegar dressing (especially if you can't stick to one serving like me) but it's always a hit. I cut back on bacon but when I tried light mayonnaise it was pretty runny so I suggest not doing that.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts with bacon crumbles, Veggie Lasagna, or Roasted Veggie Skewers (zuchhini, egglpant, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    brandi_84 wrote: »
    I love broccoli. That might be something to try. Thanks.
    @ctupdu What kind of dressing?

If it's cold where you are now (i.e., northern temperate zones or farther north), a fairly easy broccoli casserole that can be made ahead and heated before serving involves cooking about a pound and a quarter (20 oz.) of broccoli spears (I use frozen for this, but there's no reason you can't use fresh) by steaming or in shallow water. Drain the broccoli and arrange in a large rectangular casserole dish (I use a 15 x 9, but you've got a lot of leeway here) with the spears parallel to the short ends of the dish, with the floret tops of the spears alternating which long side of the dish they point to (this dish not only tastes good, it has a fair amount of presentation value).

Then make a white sauce (4 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. flour, 1/4 tsp salt, to form light roux then gradually add 1 and 1/2 cups milk). Bring to a boil while stirring, then add 6 oz. (1 and 1/2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese (I shred my own, but you can use pre-shredded). Reduce heat and stir until melted.* Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup of unsweetened cereal crumbs (I like corn flakes, but we have used Wheaties and Total over the years when that was what we had on hand) and about 12 oz. of canned whole kernel corn, drained (lately I've only been able to find 11 oz. cans, but they have a lot less liquid in them than from the days when this recipe was first published in a magazine, so I figure it comes out even).

Pour the cheddar-corn sauce down the middle of the casserole dish (i.e., you're going to end up covering most of the stalks but the florets should be bare). Combine 1/2 cup of unsweetened cereal crumbs (this is in addition to the 1/4 cup you put in the cheese sauce) with 2 Tbs melted butter and distribute it over the cheese sauce (think bread crumbs -- I find "spooning" with a fork works well for this).

Bake immediately at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or store in refrigerator without baking for up to one day, then bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. (In practice, I have found these times to be generous, and could probably shave 10 mins off of each.)

*Not-a-pro tip. I have once or twice substituted slightly thinned condensed canned cream of cheddar soup for the mornay sauce (white sauce + cheese = mornay sauce). I don't think it tastes as good, but it's still good. In the end, I didn't feel like the time saved was worth it, but YMMV.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    I need help coming up with ideas for a green veggie side dish for a dinner party.
    I feel like I typically make too many starchy sides. Last time, I made a green bean casserole that I thought was amazing but no one else ate it.

A contrarian thought -- while your green dish may have been amazing, lots of people don't want to eat vegetables. When I cook for an audience like that, I have to think hard about what they might actually eat. Any veggie dish needs to be super pretty and colorful, and even then, some people won't even try a vegetable side.

Ideas:
    Steamed Brussels Sprouts tossed with bacon crumbles. Could dress with small amount of bacon drippings and maple syrup. Could also add some blue cheese crumbles.
    Green Beans with Bacon - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/43954/green-beans-with-blue-cheese/
    Grilled Veggies on a Green Bed - https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/grilled-vegetable-salad-with-chamoy-dressing/
    Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan - https://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/vegetable-side-dishes?slide=165541#165541

• brandi_84
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont That sounds very delicious. I will definitely try that even if it is just for myself.
  • brandi_84
    Options

A contrarian thought -- while your green dish may have been amazing, lots of people don't want to eat vegetables. When I cook for an audience like that, I have to think hard about what they might actually eat. Any veggie dish needs to be super pretty and colorful, and even then, some people won't even try a vegetable side.

Ideas:
    Steamed Brussels Sprouts tossed with bacon crumbles. Could dress with small amount of bacon drippings and maple syrup. Could also add some blue cheese crumbles.
    Green Beans with Bacon - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/43954/green-beans-with-blue-cheese/
    Grilled Veggies on a Green Bed - https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/grilled-vegetable-salad-with-chamoy-dressing/
    Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan - https://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/vegetable-side-dishes?slide=165541#165541
    @AustinRuadhain
    I think you are right on. After thinking about it I realize I'm not sure I have seen those particular guests eat much in the way
    of vegetables.
    Thank you for the posting the links they all look scrumptious.
  • vegajoel2020
    vegajoel2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ratatouille!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    @lynn_glenmont That sounds very delicious. I will definitely try that even if it is just for myself.

In recent years the hard part about making this has become finding frozen broccoli spears, as my main grocery store only seems to carry florets and "cuts". So then I have to go to other stores looking for it, and buying fresh broccoli (which increasingly also seems to only be available in "crowns" and florets, which don't work for the presentation aspect, not to mention I actually much prefer the taste and texture of the stalks to the florets) and frozen spears in butter sauce as backups until I find the plain frozen spears.
  • rhi500
    rhi500 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    /