How Can I Get my Dad on Board?

Options
My dad is overweight. And he knows it. He's very tall and because of that is experincing extreme joint pain, especially in his back. He grunts every time he moves. He's 54 and my brother and I have really tried to help him. We've asked about his diet, if he wants to change and everything but he's very sensitive.

We think the problem is his portions. He used to play basketball in college and eats like he still plays.Its hard to watch him eat, especially when he cheats and has pie or ice cream. We just want him to be healthy and be around for our kids, but a person can really only be healthy if they want to.

His girlfriend is a bit of a pushover so she will never say anything to him and it's difficult for us since we're his children to keep pressing the issue. We eat healthy and have good things around the house. It just seems like he doesn't think twice about what he's doing.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I don't really know what to do now.

Replies

• TaushasJourney
    Options
    Let him know that his lifestyle worries you & that you're there if he wants help getting fit, then drop the issue. It's hard to accept, but he won't change until HE is ready to. (Like you said!) Be a good example, continue your healthy lifestyle, and hopefully he'll come around when he's ready to.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    All I can suggest is don't have junk food or really sweet deserts when he is with you. Don't try to go the no desert at all route or then he'll accuse you of trying to control him.
    Other than that - he's an adult and has to come to his own decision. If it's any consolation once they do make the decision they really get on board. My father in law has lost almost 100 pounds, stopped smoking and drinking!
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well said Softlyseeking.
  • DEgal99
    DEgal99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'll be watching this thread. I feel the same way, but about both my parents. Though my mom is much more unhealthy. :( And it scares me that she may not be around to see her grand-kids one day.

Any tips are certainly appreciated.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Set up a MFP account and load him up with 50 HOT girl MFP friends!!! With all the "charmed" ones on the sight...maybe a little eye candy will get him to use the site. ((( I"m only half joking )))
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to him about a will?
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I agree with softlyseeking. I have tried to make my boyfriend join, but it's in baby steps. Some people aren't ready for MFP, but they might be ready to cut out soda, and then start walking, and then more vegetables. The problem is that some people are so comfortable with their lifestyle that they don't realize they need help until the problem gets worse (same happened with me). Leading by example and showing how good you feel when you eat right and exercise is the only thing you can do. Once I started losing weight and everyone around me saw the difference, they started tagging along on walks and eating similar foods.

It is important to also have a talk with him. Communication is always key and just lay it out on the table. You're worried, and you want him to have a very healthy future.