Fat for lunch

Options
jessicapanish
jessicapanish Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi had a protein drink for breakfast, and a crunchy peanut butter clif bar for a snack, which is surprisingly high in carbs. What can I have for lunch with no carbs, high in fat, and low protein? Suggestions are welcomed.

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, nuts. I am low carb most of the time. My fave lunch lately is to put about 30gm shredded cheese in a nonstick frying pan, fry it without touching it until it is looking crunchy on the edges, crack an egg on one half of the cheese and cover the pan until the egg is mostly set. Then I add some spicy sauce of some sort, fold the other half of the cheese over the egg and plate it all. Let it cool a bit and you can even cut it into wedges like a quesadilla. If your calories allow you can obviously add more cheese or eggs as desired. I have to get creative with eggs, my girls lay an average of 10/day and I can’t sell all of them.
  • ThinnerLiz
    ThinnerLiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Why do you want a low-protein lunch/snack? Protein is probably the best thing to keep you alert and well-fueled through the rest of your day.

As others have said, there is no reason to limit protein unless you have a medical condition. (Assuming you’re not eating 500 g per day or something extreme.)

Some hard cheese, a bit of leftover meat/poultry, maybe a bit of veg with some olive oil, or a few hard-boiled eggs with a bit of mayo are my go-to lunch items. A couple of baby carrots are great.

Pure fat? That’s a tough one. Maybe a hunk of Brie?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    I hope it's clear that the macro goals aren't something you need to hit exactly every day, right?

For nutrition purposes, close is fine, especially if you're a little under on one macro one day, and a little over on the same one another day, so that things balance out in the long run. In general, it's OK to be over on protein or fat (as long as not crazy far under all the time on either), within reason. Carbs are more flexible, as they're not an "essential nutrient" in the technical sense of that term. (I'm not a carb demonizer; I eat around 200g of the them most days, and am at a healthy weight for several years now.)

For weight loss purposes, macros don't matter at all in the short run, unless they affect your appetite in the short run. In the longer run, good nutrition helps with body composition and energy level, and thus can have an indirect positive effect on weight loss.

If you're counting macros rather than calories, it's good to recognize that fats have about 9 calories per gram, whereas both protein and carbs have about 4 calories per gram. (Alcohol has about 7 calories per gram, FTR. ;) ).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'd probably do a green salad with a little cheese or dressing/oil and nuts or sunflower seeds.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    7dt12ios78i6.jpg

I hung a print out of this chart on my kitchen wall. It's fabulous.