75 calorie apple???

Options
okay...why are apples 75 calories? doesn't that seem like a lot?

Replies

• kkylstad
    Options
    okay...why are apples 75 calories? doesn't that seem like a lot?
  • paulam
    paulam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That does seem like alot! But who ever got fat off eating too many apples right?
  • kkylstad
    Options
    and almods too. not 75 but they seem to be very high in calories. i love to eat (no salt, roasted) almonds for a snack but when i entered to see the calories it was off the charts.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That does seem like alot! But who ever got fat off eating too many apples right?

LOL

Oh believe me, it's possible.

A calorie is a calorie...all carbohydrates ( which apples are made of) have four calories per gram. Eat too many calories of any type, and you'll get fat.

However, that's not saying all calories are created equal...they're not. 75 calories of butter will have a drastically different effect on your blood chemistry than 75 calories of apple, and those are both much better than 75 calories of toffee.

Just being a fruit or veggie doesn't mean a food will be light in calories. 75 calories really isn't that much, and the calories also depend on the size of the apple. I personally love apples, they're nature's candy! :)
  • maridale
    maridale Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't think that sounds like alot. There are so many benefits from eating apples that I wouldn't care if they were more than that! Anytime you can eat whole foods it is better.
  • paulam
    paulam Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just discovered almond butter. Have you tried it? It's delicious. I slice a granny smith apple, sprinkle it with cinnamon and drizzle it with 1tbls of almond butter. Great healthy snack .
  • kkylstad
    Options
    good point.
  • betterme
    betterme Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    About the almonds, they are high in calories but they also have a lot of nutritional value. I count mine out, 12 at a time and that is about 80 calories. With a glass of water it is a very filling snack.

Also I love to have apple slices with a Laughing Cow light swiss cheese wedge (35 calories) for a great 100 calorie snack that is very satiating.

These are my staple snacks and I think very worth the calories. :happy:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    About the almonds, they are high in calories but they also have a lot of nutritional value. I count mine out, 12 at a time and that is about 80 calories. With a glass of water it is a very filling snack.

Also I love to have apple slices with a Laughing Cow light swiss cheese wedge (35 calories) for a great 100 calorie snack that is very satiating.

I had a small orange today as a snack and it was 69 calories. I thought the same thing you did about the apple.:happy:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

• age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I heard that the roasted nuts are not good for you??!! Is it true?:noway:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I heard that the roasted nuts are not good for you??!! Is it true?:noway:

Well if they're coated with sugar or other such toppings like honey roasted peanuts, that's not great. But plain roasted almonds are excellent. High in healthy fats and fiber, moderate protein.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    After I work out, I treat myself to a serving of almonds. They help pep me up afterwards, but that's about the only time I have them..........but ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh almond butter. I've never had it, but it sounds delicious. Where can you get it?
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have a 75 calorie green apple than a 100 calorie pack of those snack thingies.... more filling.

~Joanna:flowerforyou: