Flip Flops to Running Shoes

Options
I have posted on here a few times to get some tips on how to prepare myself as a beginning runner and one of the biggest tip I received was to make sure I have proper shoes...

And since I didn't listen to all my mfp friends, I think I may be hurting. Within the next week, I plan on going to a fabulous (and awfully expensive) running store and investing in my first pair of running shoes. That being said, I've noticed over the last few days that my foot is REALLY starting to hurt. I know nobody is a doctor, but I'm wondering if wearing flip flops 99% of the time could have led to this pain? I know its not healthy and probably stupid of me to constantly walk around in cheapo flip flops from Old Navy, but I was never really concerned before. But now that running has become an obsession for me, I'm afraid of any kind of pain that may potentially keep me from running...

I'm not really sure what I'm asking...but does anybody have any tips/suggestions? What kind of shoes do you wear when not running? The pain is actually on the top of my foot if that makes any sense!

Replies

• Angelamu77
    Options
    Flip Flops are not proper shoes. I was told by a foot doctor that many people complain about foot pain and he looks at their feet and flip flops are what they are wearing.

I wear any shoes that have support or that I can put a proper insert in them at least 80% of the time. I do wear flip flops but upgraded from the ones at Old Navy to more support ones.
  • maritza327
    maritza327 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I live by flip flops and have too experience the pain in the heal which wound up being heel spurs.I too also used to wear the old navy kind. I went ahead and bought flip flops with more cushion on them and have not had any pains or heel spur flare ups since then. But I do give my feet a break and wear sneakers more often now.

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-crete/10042,default,pd.html?cid=060&cgid=search-landing-page-sandals
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    Hi, it sounds like tendonitis, which is what I have. It comes from clenching your toes to hold on to your flip flop (or flats). Usually wearing shoes that won't fall off like sandals with buckles or covered shoes or sneakers helps, but you might want to see your doctor to get a muscle relaxant that can help that. Also, try to massage the sore spot a couple times a day.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    They aren't pretty -- but I LOVE my vibram 5 finger shoes :) They are even good to run/walk in once you get used to them.
    And they are great conversation starts! The rest of the time, I'm a flip-flop or flats girl -- or I just wear my running shoes -- I have 4 pair now.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am no doctor but I do know that flipflops don't support the arch of your foot so your feet roll inwards which is not good for your joints or posture. I am going to invest in some Fitflops they are more supportive but just as comfy as flip flops
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    Options
    ive lived most of my life wearing flip flops and only flip flops haha i know that it definitely didnt do anything good persay for them, but when i was in highschool i noticed that my feet were often hurting, and now i even have s bone spur on my big toe.

being the stupid head i am, i still wear flip flops though.. but the only running/real shoes i wear are my vibrams and they have made all the difference in walking/running/wear flip flops even...

:)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    YES. Flip flops are hell on your feet. I can tell you my experience. I was experiencing debilitating heel pain. I stopped wearing flip flops and the pain eventually went away and only rarely flares up . I still wear sandals a lot, I just always make sure they have a heel strap now.

ETA: I have Vibrams as well - love them!
  • aoney
    aoney Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Flip Flops are some of the worst shoes for you. They have 0 support in your arch that's probably why they are hurting. I had an ankle injury and the physical therapist said that it is better to walk barefoot than in flip flops. Try getting some flip flop type sandals that are thicker and have some arch support. I like brands like B.O.R.N. or even Nike. Also since its the end of summer they are all on sale right now. You also might want to look into getting some insoles but I think your pain is from the lack of support from flip flops. When you go to the running store ask them about doing a test where they watch you walk to see if you pronate in your arch. If so insoles (mine cost $40) might help.
  • nickfn
    nickfn Posts: 19
    Options
    When I started running I would wear flip flops 24/7 and just regular tennis shoes for running. Within a few weeks my ankles and sides of my feet were absolutely killing me. This went away very quickly when I got a pair of running shoes and starting wearing tennis shoes in my leisure time. For me, the problem was pretty clear that it was a lack of stabilization from flip flops. However, to me stabilization issues and top-of-foot pain that you are experiencing don't immediately correlate. Do you tie your shoes very tightly? I've heard this can cause some problems. Otherwise, what surface are you running on? I'd imagine running in shoes with thin soles on a hard surface like concrete or asphalt could be contributing to your foot pain.

Good luck!
  • mcgowa67
    mcgowa67 Posts: 10
    Options
    I would suggest you change your flip flops to FIT flops. They are made to support your foot a bit better. I damaged my feet wearing junky flip flops and ended up with Plantar Fasciitis. a break from the flops, good dress shoes and sneaks did the trick, now I only wear fit flops and I have no trouble. -I couldn't give up flip flops either! I got mine at Macys, but I have seen them at Road Runner Sports and Foot Locker too. You can get them online as well.
  • kathy0317
    Options
    I'm not a doctor either, but flip flops can be causing the pain. And you're right, wearing them 99% of the time really isn't good for your feet, especially the cheap ones.
    Try some that come with support (addidas, sketchers etc) although they will be more expensive. You might find some season end sales.
    A very good pair of running shoes for running is a very good idea. A pair of decent running/training/walking shoes are good for every day. When you go get fitted for the running shoes, ask them for recommendations/what you should look for in a casual shoe, based on their analysis of your foot.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I wear flip flops maybe once or twice a week the rest of the time I swear running shoes. The less you wear them the better