Nervous to go to gym

Options
alekhyayl
alekhyayl Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2019 in Motivation and Support
I’ve always been a regular gym goer but I’ve gained a lot of weight in the last 1 year and i currently weigh around 240 pounds. I’ve taken a gym membership at the university i study but from 2 months i haven’t stepped inside the gym. I feel so anxious , nervous and self conscious 😭 I don’t know how to make a start .My goal is to loose weight and start being healthy but i fee I don’t have the courage to step inside among all the fit bodies

Replies

• Brady2K18
    Brady2K18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just remember everyone who goes to the gym isn't happy with something and is working on themselves too. Honestly no one will judge you for going to the gym it's all in your head I'm the same way. I work myself up to scenarios that haven't happened yet
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I belong to 2 gyms. I know people who weigh more than 240 at both of them. I know people who are out of shape at both of them. They are making progress because they are trying.
    Go to the gym and show them what you can do. Show yourself what you can do.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask the staff to give lesson on how to use the equipment and set you up on a program. Or find on online and go. Know one will be watching and if they do act as if your the rockstar
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    I was scared to return to the gym too for all the usual reasons. My first goal was to just walk in and do a little and leave if needed. I did the machines I knew, fumbled and gave up on those that I didn't know. I decided to see if I could make an appointment to introduce me to those machines and a basic workout, my gym offers a free initial visit with a trainer. She helped set up a routine with me.

As far as the usual fears, there are people all ages, mobilities, and sizes at the gym. The majority of people won't even look at you, people are wrapped up in what they're doing, their music, phones, etc that they aren't paying attention to what you're doing. Everyone was new at one point. Go knowing we got your back and let us know how your first day goes!
  • Whydahdad71
    Whydahdad71 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think Planet Fitness is a great place to start in. They have trainers that come with the membership and most people in this gym are far from the hardcore bodybuilders.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Awesome, @alekhyayl ! That's wonderful!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Great job taking that first step! It's the hardest one. Keep it up. You'll be so glad you did! And you have time to start on some really positive habits BEFORE New Year's! :)
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    alekhyayl wrote: »
    Thank you so much everyone for all the wonderful positivity you guys gave me❤️ I’m sorry for the late update but yesterday was my first day at the gym.Though i was very hesitant amd concious, i did some exercises and i felt great!! I will be going regularly from today and plan to increase the exercises gradually. It means alot to have all of your support and encouragement Thank you once again❤️❤️

Yay this is excellent news. Never be nervous although it's a valid natural reaction. But everyone had to start somewhere. I think it's brave taking that first leap
  • Darren225g
    Darren225g Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    alekhyayl wrote: »
    Thank you so much everyone for all the wonderful positivity you guys gave me❤️ I’m sorry for the late update but yesterday was my first day at the gym.Though i was very hesitant amd concious, i did some exercises and i felt great!! I will be going regularly from today and plan to increase the exercises gradually. It means alot to have all of your support and encouragement Thank you once again❤️❤️

Right on! keep up the awesome work. To be honest there's no need to be hesitant and conscious because most people in the gym are just there doing their own thing, and besides you're doing this for yourself not them. Since you've already took the first step, you'll feel comfortable in no time.