Cage Free Vs. Regular Eggs.

Options
adross3
adross3 Posts: 606 Member
Who buys the more expensive cage free eggs. I switched over to the cage free eggs about 3 months ago and love the taste of my free chicken egg. Last night I just bought two 18 packs of regular cheaper eggs. To me they have a weird after taste. Anybody else have a comment on these free eggs.

Replies

• andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Ever since I watched the documentary "Food, Inc." I have only bought cage free eggs. I also find there is a difference in taste. I prefer the taste of the cage free eggs. My parents raised chickens as I was growing up, so we rarely bought eggs from the store. The cage free eggs from the store taste similar to the home grown eggs.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Cage Free. I don't know if they taste different as I haven't had the other for years but I take your word for it. Factory farms are disgusting.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    meh, i buy the cheap eggs. when im at my mom and dad's they have chickens, who roam around eating grasshoppers and what not. Im good with either. there is a difference in taste though.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    if I know I'm going to be pounding them back, I'll go cheap, but otherwise I'll get cage-free
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    :noway: I raise my own cage free chickens. I could not stand a store egg
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I buy both and quite honestly I can't tell a difference.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you are imagining the taste difference, but you're being a little nicer to the chickens (one hopes) so that's good. Eggs are so cheap, paying a little extra is no hardship.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Those eggs aren't free. You bought them. That means they might be roam around the yard chickens, but they are still slave chickens. AND they sell their offspring, I wonder if that makes them Pimp Slave Chickens???
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I personally buy free-range eggs. Those poor little eggs are all cooped up in cages. They are much tastier when the eggs are free to roam.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    There is really no difference between merely cage free eggs and conventional eggs bought in the store. Both are fed vegetarian diets - which is not the chickens regular diet.

Free RANGE eggs are the ones you get where you pull up and the chickens are walking around hunting and pecking in the yard.

I don't buy eggs from a store, they come straight from a local farm.
  • SamiSamiBoBlammy
    SamiSamiBoBlammy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Those eggs aren't free. You bought them. That means they might be roam around the yard chickens, but they are still slave chickens. AND they sell their offspring, I wonder if that makes them Pimp Slave Chickens???

I agree, its like a black market adoption agency for predators.

Plus, how do you know they are cage free eggs? Oh, right because the package said so, and the package wouldn't lie to you would it?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

That's because you haven't had a good old farm raised egg. There is a definite difference in the taste, the color of the yolk..........
  • e_amanda
    e_amanda Posts: 19
    Options
    Cage Free eggs are not the same as Free Range eggs. Free range are typically raised outside, sometimes organically, sometimes not. Cage free the chickens are still in a barn, but not kept in laying cages. The only thing that would affect the taste is what they're being fed. There is a lot of variety in chicken feed for example chickens that produce the omega 3 eggs are fed flax seed for the omega 3 content and marigold for the distinctive yellow/orange colour of the yolk.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

That's because you haven't had a good old farm raised egg. There is a definite difference in the taste, the color of the yolk..........

I agree that I could probably taste the difference between a farm fresh egg vs. store bought. But the question was about cage free vs. regular eggs, both of which I buy in my local grocery store.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I checked the package of mine. It sayes cage free followed by a statement "We are dedicated to providing the best quality of life for farm animals. These eggs are from hens which are free to roam, scratch, roost and feed, all on certified organic farmland." SPCA certified. I kinda feel like I have to take their word for it...
  • adross3
    Options
    Cage Free eggs are not the same as Free Range eggs. Free range are typically raised outside, sometimes organically, sometimes not. Cage free the chickens are still in a barn, but not kept in laying cages. The only thing that would affect the taste is what they're being fed. There is a lot of variety in chicken feed for example chickens that produce the omega 3 eggs are fed flax seed for the omega 3 content and marigold for the distinctive yellow/orange colour of the yolk.
    NICE......
  • adross3
    Options
    I checked the package of mine. It sayes cage free followed by a statement "We are dedicated to providing the best quality of life for farm animals. These eggs are from hens which are free to roam, scratch, roost and feed, all on certified organic farmland." SPCA certified. I kinda feel like I have to take their word for it...
    ALSO NICE......