Need Vegetarian Ideas

Options
Hey all!
I'm needing some recipe ideas. I am vegetarian, and allergic to nuts and avocados. I basically eat the same things every day, and I'm wanting to venture out.
What do you guys have?!?
Thanks!!

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian but have you tried you-tube videos- they help me with food ideas a lot- i am ww
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Try beans and lentils if you don't already eat them.
    Try different beans and lentils if you currently eat only a limited variety.
    Try new veggies cooked in different ways (roasted, sauteed/stir-fried, steamed, raw).
    Try new grains used in different ways (in pilafs, salads, soups, burgers, "roasts," etc.)

No, those aren't recipes. But there are millions of recipes, and you haven't told us anything to narrow the field, including what you eat now that you want to "venture out" from.
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Stir fry medleys, beans and rice with salsa, mango, & other veg; vegetarian chili, curried soups using red lentils, chickpea-spinach stew; big salads; oven baked tofu w/roasted veg (one pan)...so much more!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is your friend
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend going to the MFP blog and typing 'vegetarian' into the search bar. There's a lot of great recipes that should fit within your goals :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a problem witn wheat gluten, I find replacing meat with seitan in any asian stir fry recipe is an easy substitute. You can make your own seitan, buy it at Trader Joe's, but I usually buy it in tins at the asian supermarket. Ask for buddhist mock meat at the asian grocer. Here is a sample recipe
    https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-mongolian-beef/

If you don't mind that quorn is highly processed it is an easy substitute in any recipe that calls for minced meat such as meatballs, chilli con carne, etc.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local library? Borrowing vegan/ vegetarian cookbooks can help. If you library has hoopla or overdrive, you can borrow them on your phone/ tablet/ computer.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,067 Member
    Options
    Here are some vegan ideas I put on another thread recently (even though I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian ;) . . . for 45+ years so far). Are you allergic to both tree nuts *and* peanuts? If so, the first one won't really work, but black bean sauce would be a substitute for peanut sauce (use pureed black beans in place of peanut powder).

Tofu noodles or edamame fettuccine, assorted veggies, and peanut sauce made with partially-defatted peanut powder (Tbsp or two peanut powder, vegan chile paste, rice wine vinegar to appropriate thinness).

A wrap/soft taco with Ezekiel tortilla, smoked tofu, mustard, thin-sliced onions, raw sauerkraut, and optionally vegan cheese. This is quick; I just put it in the microwave (before adding the sauerkraut) to heat. Needs more veggies on the side, or a green salad.

Chickpea pasta, topped with a sauce made from fire-roasted diced canned tomatoes, cooked lentils, and food-processor-pulverized dried mushrooms, with the usual seasonings (oregano, garlic, basil - that sort of thing). You can sprinkle on a bit of nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, if you like.

Black bean or lentil soup with nutritional yeast, and whatever veggies desired, maybe with something like quinoa in it if I have more calories left (it has some protein, but a bit more carbs, so lower protein to calorie ratio - I prioritize protein).

Veggie chili with the usual stuff including beans of course, but the trick is to add some (I use about a tablespoon) of unsweetened cocoa powder. That adds complexity and richness for few calories, plus some nice antioxidants.

Veggie white chili with white beans, veggie broth as the base, and whole hominy. I especially like this spiced up with smoked peppers (like chipotle, for example) for extra tastiness.

For most soup/stew kind of stuff (like the chilis), I recommend starting by slow-browning a whole onion (or more) in a heavy pan (cast iron ideal) in a small amount of oil until rich and brown. Packs a lot of flavor. I usually start that going on low heat, covered (make sure it doesn't burn), before I start getting the other ingredients going.

Besides cocoa powder or powdered mushrooms to add richness (and that umami flavor), another good add is dark miso, or sun-dried or roasted tomatoes. It can go in lots of soups, stews, sauces, marinades for tofu, etc.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local library? Borrowing vegan/ vegetarian cookbooks can help. If you library has hoopla or overdrive, you can borrow them on your phone/ tablet/ computer.

Another vote for your library. My system has hundreds of vegetarian cookbooks.

You can also go to allrecipes.com and include and exclude ingredients:

https://www.allrecipes.com/search/results/?wt=vegetarian&ingExcl=nuts,avocado&sort=re

6039 recipe results for "vegetarian" but not "nuts", "avocado"
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    https://cookieandkate.com is my favorite vegetarian recipe blog.