HARD EARNED ABS!!!

Options
adross3
adross3 Posts: 606 Member
I am looking for success stories from people whom have abs and are not naturally skinny. What was your journey like and what did you do to finally break your plateau to acheive them. Please.....I am only looking for people with abs.

Replies

• ejhayes
    ejhayes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I get mine, I will let you know!!! Hahahah!!!
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Eat plenty of lean protein, run everyday, stay on plenty of endurance/resistance training. And crunches, lots and lots of crunches
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    i have abs and i will tell you that i work my *kitten* off. But its fun. I workout and enjoy it. When you get that passionate about working out then it doesnt seem like a chore and you can maintain the 6 pack and not just keep it for a competition or a photo shoot. I like mine for me. I eat clean almost every single meal. there is a cheat meal once a week but my husband says my cheat meal is like his normal meal. I am just very disciplined and do ab workouts several times a week on top of my normal workouts. Abs are very important to me and I am only 110 lb 5'5" so i guess that makes me skinny although i dont feel skinny. I just feel great for me.

Weighted abs and the constant disciplined nutrition plan broke through my plateau. Normal crunches dont cut it for me. I must do some crazy unique poses and w/ weights but they are fun and I feel fabulous at the same time.
  • sallybetzingleboo
    Options
    http://youtu.be/J3tzLWqSrOc check out this guys abs who's currently in the UK big brother. What money can buy
  • KayronM
    KayronM Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is key. At least for me it was. Your ABS are already there you just can't see them.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is key. At least for me it was. Your ABS are already there you just can't see them.

Yep!! I can see my definition (though my belly isn't quuuiiiite flat enough for full-fledged abs) best when I'm eating clean, drinking lots of water, and obviously working out. I do lower ab workouts (bicycle crunches and scissor kicks - legs high, legs medium, legs straight out from my body) because I'm a woman so that lower belly is definitely a killer. I do regular crunches, side bends with weights as well as some weighted crunches, LOTS of mountain climbers to work my core, and some plank poses every now and then. Can't wait for my abs to come out of hiding! For now, I'll take just the line on either side of my belly button.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    As kayr said, Nutrition is key, as is exercise. To be honest doing loads and loads of crunches wont drastically change your abs. THey exist, they are already in that shape, that 6 pack shape. The only thing that will get you having it is to reduce body fat, simple.
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    Bump...is there anything in particular/specific (other than a calorie deficit and exercise) that those did to reduce their BF%? (Especially from the ladies!!!)
  • adross3
    Options
    Eat plenty of lean protein, run everyday, stay on plenty of endurance/resistance training. And crunches, lots and lots of crunches
    then I must be on the right track. Thanks
  • adross3
    Options
    I used to do fitness/figure competitions. Getting "abs" is not really about exercising yoru abs at all, it's about having a body fat percentage low enough that your "abs" show. Athelets have abs typically. Why? Because they have low body fat percentages. It really is that simple. 3 monthes out of a competition, I would start cutting fat percentage. I typically sit at around 18-19 normally..but I"d go down to 12% through diet and cardio. As soon as my body fat percentage hits 13%...BAM..I have abs. I work my core twice a week in the gym and I rock climb 2-3 times a week (which works abs/core HARD). I don't have ab definition. Why? BEcause my body fat percentage is 19.7 right now that's why!!

STOP doing a million crunches. Do core exercises for strength and mobility only. if you want that ab definition...up the cardio and lose the fat.
    I'm at 13.6% now. My guess is 10% or less for me. I can see some serious definition in the morning.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Lets just remember that a really low body fat % is not ideal for health - especially for women.

Mine is low and I lost my periods and all sorts. Its taken 10 months but I've just got myself back on track (I hope!). I have had my body fat measured several ways and there was a wide range of results, but I'd guess I'm at about 17-19%. That is considered to be in the 'athlete' range rather than 'normal'. Women need more body fat than men.

Yes there are pluses to not having your TOM but there are health implications too.... it's not worth going there if you can avoid it. I've got a tummy to be proud of (after 3 kids!) and I'm not willing to put my long term health at risk by getting the fat off to see abs.... as much as I would like them! I'm 5'5" and 114lbs..... honestly, I can't imagine losing more..... I'd look anorexic!
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    Lets just remember that a really low body fat % is not ideal for health - especially for women.

Mine is low and I lost my periods and all sorts. Its taken 10 months but I've just got myself back on track (I hope!). I have had my body fat measured several ways and there was a wide range of results, but I'd guess I'm at about 17-19%. That is considered to be in the 'athlete' range rather than 'normal'. Women need more body fat than men.

Yes there are pluses to not having your TOM but there are health implications too.... it's not worth going there if you can avoid it. I've got a tummy to be proud of (after 3 kids!) and I'm not willing to put my long term health at risk by getting the fat off to see abs.... as much as I would like them! I'm 5'5" and 114lbs..... honestly, I can't imagine losing more..... I'd look anorexic!

Wow, yes you are very small and it would be ridiculous to try and lose more weight for you! I don't have a lot of fat on my stomach but its enough that I would *really* like it to be flat. My shape probably contributes more to it than anything else but I'm going to keep trying...staying healthy of course there definitely isn't a problem with me and wanting to eat food!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!