Jumping rope??

Options
For an hour? Seriously?
I was watching some youtube videos and these buff dudes were saying to get the most out of jumping rope for exercise, you should work up to an hour. Are they for real? I don't do any one thing for an hour. Except maybe sleep. ;)
Why do I get so discouraged before I even start something. I figured I'd do well to make 5 minutes. :)

Replies

• lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    😆 I relate to this. I used to jump rope regularly and getting to 5 minutes was freaking hard, it took a while to get to 15. Same with slogging it out on the elliptical. I had to tell myself that 2 minutes was better than no minutes. I then challenged myself to add to that time each session, sometimes a minute at a time, until I worked up to 70 minutes on the elliptical. I don’t put in that much time regularly but it was a good mental and physical challenge for me.

Maybe try to reframe your approach, a mental rather than physical challenge?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    My wife goes to a gym specifically dedicated to jump rope fitness. Their classes are 30-45 minutes and includes calisthenics as well as just the jump rope. But she really enjoys it.

Just jump roping for an hour sounds both exhausting and repetitive, but if oen can do it, probably an awesome workout and calorie burn.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel that if you have to jump rope for an hour, then your diet needs attention. Assuming, well to get buff. I have jumped plenty of rope in the past and working up to 15 - 20 mins was enough for me to realize the benefits. Plus I'm a 100kg guy and it was putting too much strain on my lower back and clalves from bouncing up and down.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I simply cannot see the point, but then I am not a believer in doing any single thing for a very long time. I won't even plank for more than a minute. Yes, we are building endurance, but what for? I can understand endurance in things like running, or rowing or swimming or cycling. They are all skills which a human could feasibly need to have to endurance level.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    I was a boxer in my youth and used to jump rope for around 20-30 mins at a time. That alone will wear most people out to total exhaustion. Now, even after getting back in shape, I would be lucky to do 10 min at a time. NO WAY FOR AN HOUR!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    I simply cannot see the point, but then I am not a believer in doing any single thing for a very long time. I won't even plank for more than a minute. Yes, we are building endurance, but what for? I can understand endurance in things like running, or rowing or swimming or cycling. They are all skills which a human could feasibly need to have to endurance level.

If a person is training for any sort of athletic purpose, multifunctional endurance training has its benefits.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »

There are overall benefits to long, slow, endurance training that can carry over to your other workouts. It really depends on how you want to approach things.

For example, while I am not training at any performance level now, I still want to continue to progress and improve via my workout routine. So different types of workouts, designed to further my goals, have their place. And that includes 60 minute workouts doing one thing (planning to do that this morning while I watch the latest episode of Mr Robot).

Jumping rope is too high-intensity to serve as an endurance workout, so I am unsure why anyone would recommend doing it for an hour, even if you could. (Unless, of course, you were training for a rope-jumping endurance competition).

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    For an hour? Seriously?
    I was watching some youtube videos and these buff dudes were saying to get the most out of jumping rope for exercise, you should work up to an hour. Are they for real? I don't do any one thing for an hour. Except maybe sleep. ;)
    Why do I get so discouraged before I even start something. I figured I'd do well to make 5 minutes. :)

One needs to be selective about where one gets information ;)

If you like to jump rope, jump rope. But back off immediately if your knees start to hurt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For an hour? Seriously?

Stop watching YouTube videos of bros.

I know a lot of people who jump rope as part of their workout...I know zero people who jump rope for an hour.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I love jumping rope, but not for an hour. I don't have the attention span for that. Are you training for something that would make you look at that? 5 minutes is a great goal!!!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    For an hour? Seriously?

Why does it matter what some guys on YouTube are doing? Being on YouTube really only means that you have a video camera (aka cell phone) and an internet connection.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Start with interval training. 1 min jumping 1min rest for 5 sets. Work your way up to 10 sets.

Then make great play list and try to jump a whole song with out tripping on the rope. Start with a 5 min play list. Then begin extending it. This will take some time unless you are experienced or super coordinated.

It took me 3 years to get to where I am now. Today I have 4 playlists and I jump straight through. 15, 25, 35 and 55 minute options. I choose different lengths based on the strength training regimen I may be including that day.

Jump Rope is actually very low impact compared to running. You only jump an inch off the ground. You also burn way more calories per minute.