healthy foods??

Options
well im not too good at this whole healthy food thing so i have a question for you. what are your must haves when you go grocery shopping?? (keep in mind tht walmart is the only place to buy food around here lol)

Replies

• iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i think the easiest way to look at it is stay out on the outside of the market. if it is in the outside (not down an aisle) it is pretty good for you. fruit, vegetables, fresh fish & lean meats.
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    Produce section is a great place. 100% whole grain breads. Low fat fresh meats, like chicken and turkey. Stuff like that, stay away from the processed boxed crap in the middle aisles. We shop at Wal-Mart too, their produce is pretty bad sometimes but we usually do ok.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Are you using a Walmart Supercentre that has a Meat and Produce dept? If so, then those items (along with breads and dairy, are generally around the perimiter of the store (or department). that's where you'll find the least processed items which is generally what people look for in selecting "healthy foods".

Some people use the # of Ingredients as a guide as well. If it has substances on the ingredients list, that you can't pronounce, chances are, it's not ideal to be eating.

Taking your time when shopping and comparing labels between similar products helps you to eventually learn what's good and what's not so good.

Always good to make a list beforehand too. Aim for Fresh Greens/.Vegetables, Lean meats like Chicken and Fish, and whole grains such as steel cut oats, flax, and healthy fats like Avocado and Almonds.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bananas, peaches, carrots, apples, pb :D
  • JohnFurie
    Options
    Yeah when I shop I always include alot of leafy greens. I try to stay away from anything that is processed or has any artifical sweetners. Any when it comes to protein, I get lean cuts and trim as much fat off as possible.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My must haves when I go shopping are: Mangoes, bananas, dried fruit (ex: raisins, figs and dates), zucchini, cauliflower, sometimes dragonfruit.

Stay on the outside of the market, don't go in the aisles and get "diet" foods. Those are just crap.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Produce is the best, as the others said. However, if you're the type who won't eat your fresh veggies before they go bad, head to the frozen section. I always have my freezer stocked with frozen broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, green beans and asparagus. Don't buy the ones that have cheese sauces, etc. Plain veggies are the way to go. You can easily microwave them and put a little butter and salt on them or you can get fancier -- stir fry them with soy sauce, ginger, garlic and sesame oil, broil them with some olive oil and salt, make soup out of them... veggies are filling and low cal and we're supposed to be getting at least 5 servings a day. Good luck!
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    whole grain bread
    part skim mozzarella
    chicken breast
    builders bars
  • kathy0317
    Options
    If you buy any frozen/canned/processed foods, read the labels (ingredients, calories, sugar, sodium content, etc), and buy the best quality you can afford. Better to have a little of good quality, than lots of less good quality. And sometimes low-fat/low-calorie items replace the fat/calories with salt or other not so good ingredients.
  • roxygrissom
    Options
    Look up some healthy, kid friendly (if you have kids) recipes that suit your taste. Then make a menu for the week (write it down and slap it on your frig). Then make your shopping list (I make a list of all household and grocery items needed for the week as well). Through the week stick to your menu. It is working for me and I have 3 kids and a husband to feed. (And I am purchasing all our food and household/hygeine items for about $125 per week.)

You will be surprised how much healthier you are eating, and that you will save money,too!
  • roxygrissom
    Options
    Produce is the best, as the others said. However, if you're the type who won't eat your fresh veggies before they go bad, head to the frozen section. I always have my freezer stocked with frozen broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, green beans and asparagus. Don't buy the ones that have cheese sauces, etc. Plain veggies are the way to go. You can easily microwave them and put a little butter and salt on them or you can get fancier -- stir fry them with soy sauce, ginger, garlic and sesame oil, broil them with some olive oil and salt, make soup out of them... veggies are filling and low cal and we're supposed to be getting at least 5 servings a day. Good luck!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Tomatos (I prefer the grape ones), peppers, onions, spinach, carrots(baby), bananas, eggs, feta cheese, hummus, greek yogurt, wheat bread (I freeze it), peanut butter and then a combo of chicken, turkey and fish depending on what's on sale. I literally buy this stuff almost no matter what.
  • MJLavaty
    MJLavaty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i think the easiest way to look at it is stay out on the outside of the market. if it is in the outside (not down an aisle) it is pretty good for you. fruit, vegetables, fresh fish & lean meats.

I heard this a long time ago and I try and stick by this.
  • roxygrissom
    Options
    If you buy fresh and don't eat it all, freeze it before it starts to go bad (if it is freezable). I caught some corn on sale for 5 ears for a dollar, bought a bunch and froze it, still have some and saved money.
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    Can you find any local farmer's markets or CSA (community supported agriculture) delivery spots or even start your own with a local farm and some friends who want to start eating well. Starting your own small garden isn't very difficult, just a few seeds or starts and some dirt. You can even do a window planter box with leafy greens to keep your family in salad fixings or easy to grow veggies/fruits for your region. If Wal-mart is the best you can do, talk with the manager and tell them what you'd like to see. Oftentimes, they'll listen if you can get your friends to do the same aand show them that people want healthy options. Check locally first though, you may be surprised at all the produce you can find, backyard chicken coops are all the rage now :)
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Can you find any local farmer's markets or CSA (community supported agriculture) delivery spots or even start your own with a local farm and some friends who want to start eating well. Starting your own small garden isn't very difficult, just a few seeds or starts and some dirt. You can even do a window planter box with leafy greens to keep your family in salad fixings or easy to grow veggies/fruits for your region. If Wal-mart is the best you can do, talk with the manager and tell them what you'd like to see. Oftentimes, they'll listen if you can get your friends to do the same aand show them that people want healthy options. Check locally first though, you may be surprised at all the produce you can find, backyard chicken coops are all the rage now :)
    its too hot it fried all the garden hasnt actually rained in forever am in oklahoma
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    its too hot it fried all the garden hasnt actually rained in forever am in oklahoma
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have TONS of staples. Some of them because their easy to mix in, and some because I couldn't live w/out 'em. Here are a few:

boneless/skinless chicken breast, oatmeal, brown rice, nuts, beans (low sodium or raw if possible), bananas, nectarines, strawberries, carrots, zucchini (you can mix zucchini in w/ just about anything), celery (its a 'filler' food for me... pureed or finely diced), romaine lettuce, spinach, some type of granola bar for quick snacks, peanut butter, crackers, laughing cow cheese, yogurt (preferably real greek), low fat/non fat feta, olive oil, flax see oil, tomatoes, grapes, whole grain breads, sweet potatoes, jalapenos, serrrano peppers, bell peppers, garlic, onion, etc etc etc.

There's TONS of healthy stuff you can get that are all fairly basic.
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Overall, my must grocery shopping list for the week : produce (frozen or fresh), dry beans, pearl barley, brown rice, oatmeal, eggs, nuts, and/or peanut butter, milk and other dairy such as yogurt, cottage cheese and/or light chees. You are good for the week to stay healthy!
  • jonniemarie1
    jonniemarie1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i definitely stick to fruits, veggies, whole grains, sweet potatoes, oatmeal... both plain and the weight control one... lean meat, and if i know i'm going to be on the run a lot, i make sure i have either a kind bar, gnu bar, luna bar on me at all times

kashi go lean protein cereal is pretty good with almond milk
    almond butter is always good
    zico for after a hard workout
    steamfresh makes good sauce-less frozen veggies