Losing fat without losing muscle

Options
Hello everyone—
Looking for advice to fine-tune my diet based on my most recent body composition analysis. I had my body comp done at my Orangetheory studio and it showed that my body fat was above average (51%😬) which I knew and expected but also that my muscle mass was also above average. My metabolic rate was 1635. I’ve lost about 25 pounds since June eating a balanced diet but now I’m really interested in how to lose this fat while not sacrificing the muscle I have. Should I be focusing on a high protein diet? Would Intermittent fasting be helpful? I wish I could meet with a dietitian but we just don’t have the money for that. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about nutrition but I just wanted to check in on this. I also wanted to check in about the daily calories I should be consuming now that I know my metabolic rate. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• XLNC1981
    XLNC1981 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Snap!! Lose fat, maintain (build more even) muscle!

I’m doing it...it’s working! I’m almost 6 weeks in... nearly 7kg lost.

40,30,30 macro split... the highest being protein.

I’m 38,m... eating approx 140-150 grams of carbs daily which is no longer an issue for me.

Even though the scale coming down, all my lifts have gone up!!

All is not lost... I promise! 👌🏽
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone—
    Looking for advice to fine-tune my diet based on my most recent body composition analysis. I had my body comp done at my Orangetheory studio and it showed that my body fat was above average (51%😬) which I knew and expected but also that my muscle mass was also above average. My metabolic rate was 1635. I’ve lost about 25 pounds since June eating a balanced diet but now I’m really interested in how to lose this fat while not sacrificing the muscle I have. Should I be focusing on a high protein diet? Would Intermittent fasting be helpful? I wish I could meet with a dietitian but we just don’t have the money for that. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about nutrition but I just wanted to check in on this. I also wanted to check in about the daily calories I should be consuming now that I know my metabolic rate. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

Assuming you're eating at least 20-25% protein, strength training would be more useful for retaining muscle than other dietary tweaks.
  • XLNC1981
    edited December 2019
    Options
    XLNC1981 wrote: »
    Snap!! Lose fat, maintain (build more even) muscle!

I’m doing it...it’s working! I’m almost 6 weeks in... nearly 7kg lost.

40,30,30 macro split... the highest being protein.

I’m 38,m... eating approx 140-150 grams of carbs daily which is no longer an issue for me.

Even though the scale coming down, all my lifts have gone up!!

All is not lost... I promise! 👌🏽

increasing your lifts does not prove your muscle mass has increased.

Lynn and your point is??? The poster doesn’t want to sacrifice losing muscle. I never said my muscle mass has increased...

I’m simply stating stating that my strength has not decreased with my calorie deficit and therefore offering the poster hope.

If you’re just going to post just to contradict... why bother? 🤔

• XLNC1981
    Options
    Ok Lynn whatever. You are clearly unable to build muscle or whatever else hence your negative approach. That’s fine.

Some of us can be constructive with our own experiences unlike Lynn. Amanda google search the subject area and and the possibilities are there for you to see.

Good luck.