Bouldering calorie burn

I have been doing bouldering since December and I am curious if anyone might know how many calories are burned per hour? I read online that rock climbing can burn anywhere from 500 to 900 calories per hour, provided climbers keep rest to a minimum between routes. I know there is a bit difference between rock climbing and bouldering. Thanks for any feedback! :)

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    It's going to depend so much on you, the route you're on, how you approach it, etc. Although roped climbing is a different beast in many ways, the calorie burn is probably similar.

If you've been logging it since December, compare how fast you're losing weight to hire fast your estimates say you should be.

Have fun! :smile:
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I would honestly estimate not enough to even bother logging. But as you said it's going to depend on the amount of rest you take. I know for me, I tend to take really long breaks between climbs. Especially if you are bouldering in a group. So, for an hour of bouldering, I'm probably only actively climbing 20min. So you could log it as 20min of strength training.
  • Hi. A bit late to this thread but hopefully helpful. This is a good calculator that factors your weight and the level of climbing you’re doing. I found it was less than the oft quoted 700-900 calories per he. I’m 138lbs and one hour of low-intermediate level climbing cane out as just under 400 calories. Having done competitive sport all my life and this seems to me a more realistic calorie expenditure compared to effort: https://captaincalculator.com/health/calorie/calories-burned-rock-climbing-calculator/