Fitness tracker with HR monitor. Best setting for bouldering?

localgrr
localgrr Posts: 99 Member
edited March 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,

I'm experimenting trying to get an accurate bouldering read with MapMyFitness (or similar). I tried it on "Indoor climbing" and it said I burned 800 calories in 70 minutes. Um... Nope! (11cal/min) Then I tried it on gym workout and it's 245 calories for 45 minutes, still seems way too high. (5cal/min)

Any idea of a good setting? I assume with weight lifting/ gym settings on these apps they take in to account the rests you need to take. I don't want to have to manually paise every time I stop I'll just forget to restart.

Thanks

Replies

• Hi. A bit late to this thread but hopefully helpful. This is a good calculator that factors your weight and the level/intensity of climbing you’re doing. I found it was less than the oft quoted 700-900 calories per hr. I’m 138lbs and one hour of low-intermediate level climbing cane out as just under 400 calories. Having done competitive sport all my life this seems to me a more realistic calorie expenditure for comparable effort: https://captaincalculator.com/health/calorie/calories-burned-rock-climbing-calculator/