Recovering from addiction

TomCinema
TomCinema Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm Tom. I'm a recovering addict and I've lost 15kg since the start of the summer (I was already skinny). I've been recovering for a month now and realised how skinny I have become. My goals are to gain weight to the point where I am back to where I once was and get in shape again. Today I've started running and managed to run 6km in 40 minutes. I was hoping to find someone who has maybe gone through the same (or not, any help is appreciated ^^) and can give me tips. Feel free to ask me anything.

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Diet and health are relatively the same as it is in recovery: one day at a time. Manage your stress and recognize your triggers. Don't set lofty goals. Start off with something specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-based (SMART). Such as, in 7 days, I will have eaten an average of 2500kcal/day and gain 0.5-1% of my body weight.

Set your calorie goal, set a protein goal, set a well-programmed strength training goal (much more productive to positive weight gain via increased muscle mass). Your diet will be the support for your training.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Like with your recovery, accountability and connection are very important to making these kind of changes. I hope you embrace the MFP community! All the best with your recovery as well.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I wish you the very best! I have no advice, but I am on your side all the way!
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Good luck with the addiction issues Tom. I am an alcoholic in good standing with the local AA groups with 11 years of sobriety. I am really into what @anubis609 said. Using the SMART method made all the difference in my running, weight training and recovery. I know now that I had to go to some uncomfortable (dark) places, but I also know today that I had to go there to bring light and find truth! Good luck my friend!
  • TomCinema
    TomCinema Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for the kind words!
    @mikeschratz @anubis609 I have made a plan using the smart method. By the end of January I want to do a run from my school all the way home. Which is around 12km. It's a pretty hard goal I think but also necessary to get more disciplined. I made a list of healthy foods that take little to no preparation. I must say I'm surprised by how much a person is supposed to eat in a day. It's been quite difficult because I ate through the entire day and still came 500 calories short. Today I'm actually on schedule and it feels great to have this much energy.