Running

Options
How much time should you wait after eating to run?

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    About 2 hours.
  • sesessions
    sesessions Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what time of the day you run.

For long runs, I usually eat something small (fig newtons) and run right away. For shorter run I don't eat before I run.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on how much you ate and how far you plan to run. I've eaten a half sandwich and gone for 4 miles without a problem. I wouldn't eat a full dinner and run immediately afterward, though.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I get crampy if I eat anything besides carb/sugar (gummy bears, gels, etc.).

Bottom line, try some different things and and time periods and see how you feel out there.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Try it and see what works for you. Usually I'd try to eat an hour or so before if I have the time.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I give myself 2 hours after eating something heavy before I run. But unless I am racing or going long, I usually run on an empty stomach.
  • teenagedream1112
    Options
    okay thanks for the help!!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If I run in the a.m. its on an empty stomach. Later in the day I usually try not to eat anything 2 hours before, it makes me feel yuck.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat and half a cup of black coffee at least half an hour before I leave the house. Works for me.