MFP Runners Club

Options
I did 13 miles this sunny, windy morning here in southern NH. I felt pretty good, cruising along at 10:25/mile. Now the fun part, getting to eat the EXTRA 2400 calories that I just burned!!:drinker:

Replies

• bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I did 13 miles this sunny, windy morning here in southern NH. I felt pretty good, cruising along at 10:25/mile. Now the fun part, getting to eat the EXTRA 2400 calories that I just burned!!:drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Great run!! I did 7 miles on the TM this morning. 9 weeks to go til my half marathon!

And just wondering, do you have a HRM??? I would think 2400 cals would be very high for running 13 miles... :huh: I just got a Polar F6 HRM and was surprised to find that I only burn about 110 cals per mile (I figured it would be higher).
  • sweetapplepi
    Options

So you are supposed to eat the extra calories that you burn during exercise? I thought you weren't, I'm confused.:noway:
  • bigdawg62
    Options
    I dont use a HRM, the 2400 calories is what the MFP excersise calculator comes up with. I think its fairly accurate, as I have found other calculators and come up with the same figure based on my weight and speed run. It comes out to around 180 cals a mile. I can believe that because it takes a lot of energy to propel my fat *kitten* up all these hills!!
  • bigdawg62
    Options
    Yes you are supposed to eat the extra calories. When you first sign up for MFP and fill out your goals you enter a base weight, age, life style and goal weight. MFP then calculates how many calories it takes to loose the wieght per week you want to loose. That assumption is based upon normal activity. If you excersise that is extra. It burns extra calories so you need to replace those calories and eat them. You want to maintain the same calorie deficiet weather you run 2 miles or 20 miles. Otherwise if I ran 20 miles and didnt replace the calories burned I would start to starve and consume muscle tissue. I would also not be able to maintain this kind of diet and probably binge. So the goal is to have zero calories left at the end of each day.
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    2400 calories, wow! I hope that you enjoy them. :drinker:

I got in a short 3.5 mile run this morning. I was sick yesterday but did the wet sock treatment last night and felt OK in the morning. Then I ran and felt even better. :smile:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes you are supposed to eat the extra calories. When you first sign up for MFP and fill out your goals you enter a base weight, age, life style and goal weight. MFP then calculates how many calories it takes to loose the wieght per week you want to loose. That assumption is based upon normal activity. If you excersise that is extra. It burns extra calories so you need to replace those calories and eat them. You want to maintain the same calorie deficiet weather you run 2 miles or 20 miles. Otherwise if I ran 20 miles and didnt replace the calories burned I would start to starve and consume muscle tissue. I would also not be able to maintain this kind of diet and probably binge. So the goal is to have zero calories left at the end of each day.
    I agree, but a trainer told me, if you earn,say, 3500 exercise calories a week, which I do regularly, it is better to average those calories out over the week (500 / day), rather than try to eat your extra 2400 calories today, then try to cut back to your maintenance baseline if you take a rest day tomorrow. It has worked well for me (although I am pretty much in maintenance than weight loss mode right now).

Big race weekend for me. Doing the Gasparilla Distance Classic Bud Light Challenge. Ran two legs of the challenge this morning, 15 K and 5 K, with the final leg 1/2 marathon tomorrow. Total of 25.5 miles in about 24.5 hours. The weather was great for the 15 K, although it got a bit too hot and sunny by the time the 5K got underway (I know, wah-wah:sad: :sad: ). 1;27 for the 15K, 30 minutes for the 5K. Not truly racing, as I was pacing a friend. (We were those annoying guys running side by side talking through the whole race:laugh: ) looking forward to tomorrow.
  • bigdawg62
    Options
    I agree, but a trainer told me, if you earn,say, 3500 exercise calories a week, which I do regularly, it is better to average those calories out over the week (500 / day), rather than try to eat your extra 2400 calories today, then try to cut back to your maintenance baseline if you take a rest day tomorrow. It has worked well for me (although I am pretty much in maintenance than weight loss mode right now).

Big race weekend for me. Doing the Gasparilla Distance Classic Bud Light Challenge. Ran two legs of the challenge this morning, 15 K and 5 K, with the final leg 1/2 marathon tomorrow. Total of 25.5 miles in about 24.5 hours. The weather was great for the 15 K, although it got a bit too hot and sunny by the time the 5K got underway (I know, wah-wah:sad: :sad: ). 1;27 for the 15K, 30 minutes for the 5K. Not truly racing, as I was pacing a friend. (We were those annoying guys running side by side talking through the whole race:laugh: ) looking forward to tomorrow.
  • bigdawg62
    Options
    I run 5 days a week so I will end up banking around 500 of todays calories for my shorter days. It still enables me to go out to eat tonight at a restaurant and have a nice meal of Cedar Plank Salmon, rice and asparagus.
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    That's awesome runnerdad. Good luck tomorrow!

Six miles for me today on the treadmill. I probably could have ran outside, but I am so over the cold! Ugh. I just wanted to be warm and toasty in the gym. :glasses:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I did 19 today! That was my best so far, I'm getting ready for my marathon, almost there, 26.2 here I come!!!!!

~Leash
  • bigdawg62
    Options
    I did 19 today! That was my best so far, I'm getting ready for my marathon, almost there, 26.2 here I come!!!!!

~Leash

Awesome job! Which marathon are you running in again?
  • jim_weldon
    jim_weldon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I actually completed my First 10k on Saturday (Cowtown in Fort Worth). WInd Chills in the 20's, but I felt good - 10:25 pace.

I have done several 5k's doing Sprint Tri's, but my real goal was to do an Olympic Distance Tri & that requires a 10k run at the end. This was the first step in that process...

Next Steps -> 20k and Olympic Tri!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I actually completed my First 10k on Saturday (Cowtown in Fort Worth). WInd Chills in the 20's, but I felt good - 10:25 pace.

I have done several 5k's doing Sprint Tri's, but my real goal was to do an Olympic Distance Tri & that requires a 10k run at the end. This was the first step in that process...

Next Steps -> 20k and Olympic Tri!

I'm working up to an olympic Tri in May.... good luck!! :)

yesterday I ran 1/4 mile & swam 400 meters X 4 @ the beach