Concussion

I managed to give myself concussion, because I am smart and co-ordinated. This is properly diagnosed by a doctor in Accident and Emergency, by the way, I had a CT of my head to rule out bleeding and everything, not me diagnosing myself.

I was told to avoid "strenuous exercise" until I am symptom-free, which I can expect to be about 2 weeks, but wasn't really given any advice on what counted as 'strenous' or how to get back into things without doing myself more damage. (I may have asked and forgotten the conversation though, it's a bit hazy. Bang on the head and all...)

Over to you, MFP!

How do I not make it worse? What counts as 'strenous'? How do I go back to what I was doing before (running) without doing myself a more serious leg / brain / other body part injury? Any not-strenous stuff I can do while healing?

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,365 Member
    I had a concussion last year about this time (also due solely to a lack of coordination).

Your body will let you know what's too strenuous. Personally, I slept about 16-18hrs a day for the day of and two days after injury. Missed the next day's work obviously. Tried to go back to work about a week after the injury, realized 30 minutes into my shift it wasn't going to work. Headachey, dizzy, a little nauseous. I was out of work that whole week (I work 3 12s) and when I returned to work the next week it was light duty, mostly just tasking, no computer work. After that, I was fine to return to a full work schedule. I tended a little more easily to headaches for another month or so, though that part was hard to tell since I have a history of headache (that was 7th concussion, but first as an adult. I had them as a kid at 2, 6, 10, 11, 14 and 17.)
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Sorry about your injury. I wish you a speedy recovery.

I fell walking my dog in light snow a few years ago (my fault entirely, I went out in shoes with worn tread) and hit my head on the pavement. Like the poster above, I rested a lot, had light headaches and was dizzy, and did very little exercise other than necessary walking (no exercise walking, just ordinary life tasks). I don't remember how long it lasted, but I do remember I didn't push myself until I fully recovered.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    I would certainly consider running strenuous. Honestly outside of some light walking, I would not test it. Concussions are no joke. It's better to rest up now than to aggravate it and cause yourself to be out longer.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Can you call back and ask specifically what the doctor meant?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,365 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Stop reading (it is not good for concussion). Go to sleep. Give it a few days. You only have one brain.

This too. I couldn't really use my phone at all for 4 or 5 days, limited for a good week after that. No computer either. I could watch limited TV after the first 4 or 5 days as long as it wasn't too loud or too frenetic.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    You absolutely need to discuss this with your doctor. The doctor I saw at the ER told me 4 days and it was 6 months before I was back to normal. I worked on walking in a straight line unassisted by going on ~20min walks, and did some calisthenics that could be done on the ground. I went to physical therapy and did balance work. The rest was slow exposure and a return to work plan.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You are not supposed to read or use electronic devices. I agree with calling your doctors office for direction about exercise. These precautions are really important. Stay safe.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    Dont truck with concussion. Listen to your dr. Exercise can worsen impact and recovery so this is one of those cases you really need to talk to your MD.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I wouldn't do anything other than rest. I would count anything that isn't necessary to do physically "strenuous" with a concussion. Big picture, taking a couple of weeks off isn't really a big deal.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    You need to rest your brain. It's not worth serious long term issues just to get back quickly. I've had concussions and they clear up fairly quickly but then a friend had one and it took her at least 6 months to heal. I am stubborn so probably just ignore any side effects. Don't be like me is the advice unusually give people. Take your time. Running is strenuous. Be careful
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    My daughter missed almost an entire lacrosse season from a ball that was whacked on the back of her head. "Cognitive rest" basically means lying down in a dark room looking at nothing, listening to nothing, moving as little as possible-basically not making your brain do any work. That lasted a few days. She didn't get into running again for months. Might sound dramatic, but you only get one brain, and this wasn't her first (or last, it turns out) concussion. NOTHING is worth a brain injury. Absolutely no amount of fitness.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I've had two concussions...the first in college playing rugby and I was out of contact sports for six weeks. However, after about a week I was back to running and working out, although a bit slower than usual.

Second concussion, I was in my first job training and had to power through physical training so that I didn't get sent back...I went home every evening and was pretty much useless.

I think it depends on your own body's healing rate. Do what you can when you feel like and stop if you seem to be in pain/light headed/ symptomatic.