Yoga/ stretching

Options
So I do yoga twice a week, i know it's not physically challenging and doesn't burn fat but I count it as exercise, however someone I know says that all I'm doing is stretching so it doesn't count as exercise at all. I just need some opinions on who's right and who's wrong in this one and why
Thanks

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I’ve been trying to incorporate more yoga into my regular routine because it supports my running goals. I’ve been tracking it to keep myself accountable. It doesn’t burn many calories, but it is beneficial exercise. I don’t know what your personal fitness goals are.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yoga is exercise but it doesn't usually burn a lot of calories. Maybe 100-200 on average for an hour?
    It's still good for you and great for strengthening your core and other muscles, depending on intensity.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It’s great for strengthening muscles and flexibility. I wouldn’t use it as a way to lose weight but I usually do 30-45 mins of yoga after hard cardio or strength workouts as I find it stretches me out better than regular post workout stretches
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    “Count” as exercise for what purpose? Cardio fitness, calorie burning, strength training, etc???
  • BB_1033
    BB_1033 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just started gentle yoga and I'm hear to tell ya I already dropped 9 lbs. Whether it be from regulating hormones or more mindful eating or bc it does help burn fat idk .. either way if it works for you then it "counts"
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You are not being sedentary when you do yoga (ok maybe for savasana) but actively using muscles to try to hold a position, or doing lots of movement (for vinyasa or kundalini). And yeah, calorie burn is not that high, but it does build core strength and flexibility so I think it ought to count for something. I do 30 minutes a day.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    It’s good for your body. It’s good for your mind. It’s good for losing weight because it builds muscle, and muscle burns more calories than fat does. It’s good for losing weight because it calms your mind and helps you focus on what’s important, like eating wisely.
    If your acquaintance is talking about cardio, he is probably right. If he’s talking about the whole scope of exercise, he’s definitely wrong. If he says it’s only stretching, he certainly hasn’t taken an advanced class himself. Peacock and crow poses come to mind quickly.
  • cheesefiend2011
    cheesefiend2011 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hey, Good for your mind and body. If it makes you feel good you should do it. I have started a morning routine which I started a month ago...I feel a lot stronger, my mood has improved as has my posture. If you are moving that is excerise..I wouldn't be without it now.xx
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    depending on the type of yoga, it doesn't burn a lot of calories but it does count as exercise. you are moving, you aren't sitting on the couch or laying in bed.
    different types of yoga burn different amounts of calories.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    OK I'm older--64 and I use yoga to loosen up because i have OA. Then, I go to the gym or pool after. For me, it means that I get the most out of my workout because I'm ready to go when I get there. I can push things a bit and therefore, burn a few more calories.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Exercise definition: Activity requiring physical effort, carried out to sustain or improve health and fitness.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a clear cut right or wrong.

If you like it and it fits within yours goals why should it fit a "exercise" definition?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    So I do yoga twice a week, i know it's not physically challenging and doesn't burn fat but I count it as exercise, however someone I know says that all I'm doing is stretching so it doesn't count as exercise at all. I just need some opinions on who's right and who's wrong in this one and why
    Thanks

Exercise is a broad term that covers a wide range of activities done at a wide range of intensities. Depending on what kind of yoga you are doing, it can be very physically challenging or a very light form of exercise. I do restorative yoga once per week (or at least try). It is not physically demanding and I wouldn't consider it a "workout", but I do consider it exercise and it is very beneficial to my mental health. It is also a great recovery exercise from more intense workouts/exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    BB_1033 wrote: »
    I just started gentle yoga and I'm hear to tell ya I already dropped 9 lbs. Whether it be from regulating hormones or more mindful eating or bc it does help burn fat idk .. either way if it works for you then it "counts"

I didn't think of it when I first posted on the thread, but a then-daily yoga practice was part of my losing weight without much conscious effort, about the time I started college, largely via improved awareness of how foods made me feel. (Increased activity was what improved my calorie balance, but the awareness helped me avoid commensurate intake increase. Instead of gaining the "freshman 15", I lost the "freshman 30". :lol: )
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    After yoga, I always feel more calm, relaxed, centered, and mindful/present. It always reminds me the importance and feeling of self care and respecting myself, which contributes a lot to me making healthier choices, healthier lifestyle and relationship decisions, not emotionally eating, not eating foods that I don't really want to eat and am eating out of boredom, etc....

I think yoga is great for weight loss!

Even with a high calorie burn exercise that burns 400 calories in an hour, that burn can easily be nixed by eating 2 cookies.

Do what you enjoy! Don't count on exercise for weight loss. Majority of calories burned in a day are done just by you existing, exercise only contributes a small part of total calorie burn.

(although, I will say I really recommend incorporating some strength training into your routine like 2x per week. It has lots of benefits: will improve body composition, keeping muscles cost more calories than keeping fat so more calorie burn daily, and more. I just really like strength training, though.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I use the "Stretching, hatha yoga" entry for gentle yoga and "Calisthenics, home, light/moderate effort" for vigorous yoga.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Thanks

doesn't "count" for what??? the answer to your question really depends on what you are trying to count it towards!
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    A little different I guess, but I do reformer pilates regularly, and my muscles tell me the next day that it was definitely exercise. I have also noticed significant increase in core strength, losing inches, and a lowered resting heart rate.

I have also found that my weight loss has picked up since starting...not that I am burning so many more calories, but that I feel great afterwards, and that helps me be ready to face the day (and that includes work, kids, meal planning etc).

I never got the post-exercise feel-good factor from the gym or various other exercises I had tried in the past, but this I love. The best exercise is the one you actually DO, so regardless of what others think, pilates is MY perfect exercise (and when my surgeon has told me to permanently avoid high-impact activities, my definition of exercise is never ever going to align with those "helpful" friends telling me to try C25K or whatever).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    A little different I guess, but I do reformer pilates regularly, and my muscles tell me the next day that it was definitely exercise. I have also noticed significant increase in core strength, losing inches, and a lowered resting heart rate.

I have also found that my weight loss has picked up since starting...not that I am burning so many more calories, but that I feel great afterwards, and that helps me be ready to face the day (and that includes work, kids, meal planning etc).

I never got the post-exercise feel-good factor from the gym or various other exercises I had tried in the past, but this I love. The best exercise is the one you actually DO, so regardless of what others think, pilates is MY perfect exercise (and when my surgeon has told me to permanently avoid high-impact activities, my definition of exercise is never ever going to align with those "helpful" friends telling me to try C25K or whatever).

I stopped running when I got out of the military and no one could force me to run anymore ;)

One reason I lift weights is to build my triceps for chaturanga. Some forms of yoga are definitely physically challenging!