Body-positive menswear?

Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    The strongest guys in my gym wear baggy fleece sweatpants lifting.

Wasn't able to snag a picture before but here's an example:

0eg055ekboxv.png
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    0f863c746ae9de76fba80b2f1ef3b26e.jpg

Maybe I just haven't been there at the right time, but I've probably seen 5 guys dressed like this in over 40 years of going to the gym in many different states (I have been in 3 of the 10 that make the most hardcore gyms in American lists) and several foreign counties.

There are not many things clothing-wise that would draw attention to somewhat overweight 40ish guys but this sure would.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Two things:
    1. I want to repeat what I wrote about second hand shops.

Just a warning. A fair number of people go comando under workout wear. If you don't mind buying underwear from second hand shops, go right ahead, otherwise may want to rethink.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Logos are fine, they just don't want to look like stereotyped "jocks"; no wearing jersey of their favorite player, etc.

There are some good suggestions on this thread. I think I just want to print it and show it to them!

I 100% advocate for wearing whatever you want without regard to others. However, I can see that being harder to do when you are just starting out and don't even know if you are 'doing it right'. I bet they'll feel more comfortable getting out there once fitness gets weaved into the lifestyle a little more.

For me I felt better wearing whatever when I realized that either a. no one else cared or b. everyone else was wearing the same thing or similar things. So in my case the first point was, "oh, so no one is paying attention to my crotch? Great!"
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Also that guy in those tights is editing his pictures. The white fuzz around his quads in some of the photos is an artifact from enhancing digitally. Even he doesn't look how he looks in them. It is rampant, nothing you see online can be trusted.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I just wear a tank top (sleeves bug the snot out of me when I lift) and long, almost past my knees, athletic shorts - I guess they are the current "basketball" type? Basic black and only logo is a small UA on the shorts. I have the same gear in about 4 different colors. It's basic functional gym wear... although I've taken to wearing a hat to sop of sweat since my wife objected to the 70's style tennis head band. ;) I'm 49 and perfectly comfortable and invisible in this type of outfit. Honestly, I've seen every kind of outfit in the gym - including guys who show up in jeans. Nobody really cares. I think the shirts are JC Distro from amazon. Less than $10 a shirt. Shorts are like $25.

n8n3srpynmua.jpg
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    My husband works out in loose fitting basketball shorts or running shorts, he just gets whatever is cheap or happens to be on sale, doesn’t have to be a certain brand. He tends to go more for the dry fit running type shorts when it’s April-September and 90+ and running outside. He is “shorter”-ish (5’10”) but definitely not “heavier”.

ETA a photo as an example of what I mean when talking about men’s running shorts. fz0f94kvfrf5.jpeg
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    These are some of my pants. Cheap, functional, comfortable. They fit me well even when I was a lot bigger. I know they were no more than $40, but probably less. They technically do not fit your "no logo" criteria, but to be honest that may just be something you might need to work on getting over. I didn't even really realize they have a logo until I saw your post and looked for it. It doesn't change the functionality or look of the pants, and it doesn't mean I'm part of an organized sport.

d2qzzyrcmmzw.jpg

The problem is that right now they are not making those anymore. I just went to the UA store last week, as well as other stores that sell UA products. Every pair of sweatpants had tapered legs except one style that looked like Ron Weasley’s dress robes.

I am sure there are still old-school sweatpants out there, but I have not yet found them.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I’m sure it’s random, or based on something else I clicked on, but ever since I posted my first comment on this thread, my web browser constantly shows ads for men’s yoga pants. :D:D
  • Theoldguy1
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    These are some of my pants. Cheap, functional, comfortable. They fit me well even when I was a lot bigger. I know they were no more than $40, but probably less. They technically do not fit your "no logo" criteria, but to be honest that may just be something you might need to work on getting over. I didn't even really realize they have a logo until I saw your post and looked for it. It doesn't change the functionality or look of the pants, and it doesn't mean I'm part of an organized sport.

d2qzzyrcmmzw.jpg

The problem is that right now they are not making those anymore. I just went to the UA store last week, as well as other stores that sell UA products. Every pair of sweatpants had tapered legs except one style that looked like Ron Weasley’s dress robes.

I am sure there are still old-school sweatpants out there, but I have not yet found them.

These look a bit looser. Agree I was at the UA outlet in suburban Chicago and nothing loose. Check your MFP notifications. I got a $40 off $100 or more.

5d65j300wpoe.png

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/mens-armour-fleece-double-threat-pants/pcid1295287-001

There are also these, real old school:

b5xm45bdw7e3.png
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has yoga pants for men, same price as women $25-$30
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    Can we get some yoga pants for men, please?

A few guy friends now have asked for my help finding some pants for them to work out in. They are all shorter, heavier, 35-40yrs., and just getting into fitness.

I've searched high and low, and it seems like there are basically 3 options:
    • fleece sweats (who wants to look like a couch potato?)
    • spandex tights/bike style tights (the body-positive movement is putting heavy women wearing leggings on the map, but not men)
    • training pants with logos (they don't identify with ball sports and find the whole sporty/jock connection off-putting)

It seems like there has to be something out there. I have found some loose-fitting high-end tech-fabric pants, but they are like, over $100 USD. That's a steep price for someone just starting out.

If anyone has found anything for these guys, feel free to respond!

I did all of the above. I responded.

(the body-positive movement is putting heavy women wearing leggings on the map, but not men)

I gave you options for men just like women. You wanted to put them on the map, did you not.
    Let freedom ring.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    ^ Guy above is thinking, "I wish they'd let me back inside the fenced area, but they told me not until I put on some gender-suitable pants."

Guys in tights ... no.

What's wrong with some tights with gym shorts over them? I wear that when the weather is a little cooler. At my gym in Mexico, a good number of guys wear tights without shorts and I'm not really into showing the package like that. Tights under loose fitting basketball style shorts are great when lifting weights. They are warm enough and they flex with your body as you move. I don't like sweatpants because they don't.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    In an ideal world they could wear tights without shorts, and not be objectified for it. I say be the change you want to see, but know that blazing trails is likely to be a tough path.