Diabetic Type 2 and high blood pressure

Options
Just starting checking sugars three times a day, weigh 318 and need to lose weight. How do you manage your diabetes. What diet sugar do you use, can you buy sugar by the pound that is diet sugar for baking? Do you have recipes for diabetic's, will you share. I am on a 2000 calorie diet at 2 lb a week. Exercise was suggested 1/2 hour everyday like walking, should I lift weights, will that help, or just aerobic activity. I have so many questions. I have had swelled feet and calves for 1 year and half, adema from the diabetes. My sugars range from 146 to 326, per the blood monitor. Blood pressure last checked 151 over 97. Bottom number is up. Used to be top number but was on a steroid and bottom number up. I am spilling sugar in pee, so pee pants all the time and wear diapers. I am only 48, goal, to lose weight and no more diapers. To keep sugars in normal range. To get down to healthy weight. I would like support and to hear from you about your diabetes and managing it. Need more supportive friends and motivation to work out and get to the gym. Once I get there am fine, just motivating self to get there.

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor given you materials or referred you to a class to learn how to manage your diabetes? You seem a little overwhelmed. :heart: Walking and losing weight will definitely help your blood sugar and blood pressure but I'm hoping you are also taking medication/insulin until you get this under control.

You can buy Splenda in a large bag for baking and places like Sam's Club have a good deal on it.

My husband has both Type 2 and high BP and has recently really turned his health around through diet and exercise. We don't really do special recipes though. He just takes his medication and by losing weight and walking he's been able to cut back on both insulin and BP meds.

I really hope you are able to get some guidance from your doctor. It can be a lot to take in at first, learning how much medication to take and what foods to limit.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Given your medical history you really need the help of a registered dietitian and possibly a physical therapist.

At this time focus on maintaining a calorie deficit by accurately tracking your food (weighing is best with a food scale).

As far as exercise do what you can and build from there. Both cardio (walking) and weighs are excellent activities, but you will need to find what you enjoy most so it becomes a habit.

For some people just starting out 30 minutes may be impossible, but for others they can do more. Even if you break the 30 minutes into (3) 10 minute sessions it still counts.

No matter what just keep trying every day and building from there. Best of luck to you!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @tanyanelson922 You need sit down face-to-face with a registered dietitian. You need more information to go on than what they've sent you out the door with. Trying to make too many changes all at one time is difficult. With your feet and legs swelling start out easy. Simply walk out your front door and keep going until you need to turn around and head back home.

Doing big things and making big changes in the name of weight loss right out of the chute can backfire. Gentle changes can be just as effective and you'll have a much better chance at getting there and staying there.
  • tanyanelson922
    tanyanelson922 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a scheduled appointment with dietician at the end of the month. I am not on insulin only medication so far so good. Getting to the gym is the problem, motivation. But once there 1/2 hour on treadmill is fine, I did it no problem my pulse was 144 and was at 2.1 on the tread mill. I am going to try cosco to see if diet sugar there for baking. Not a member at Sams club. I am trying to avoid any regular sugar, think that is wise. I can see about using wheat flour instead of flour for baking? Might not taste as well but be healthier for you.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I have a scheduled appointment with dietician at the end of the month. I am not on insulin only medication so far so good. Getting to the gym is the problem, motivation. But once there 1/2 hour on treadmill is fine, I did it no problem my pulse was 144 and was at 2.1 on the tread mill. I am going to try cosco to see if diet sugar there for baking. Not a member at Sams club. I am trying to avoid any regular sugar, think that is wise. I can see about using wheat flour instead of flour for baking? Might not taste as well but be healthier for you.

While you can use artificial sweeteners for baking, if you are looking to lose weight and improve your health it may be best to avoid these as well since they are just as sweet as sugar and can trigger cravings which leads to eating more. There are no caloric differences between whole wheat flour and white flour, however the nutrients profile may be better with the whole wheat.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @tanyanelson922 That is great you can do 30 min at 2.1mph. Have you been on the American Diabetes Association website? They have nutrition information. Maybe you could browse that website and make a list of questions for your appt at the end of the month. I'm sure Costco would have the Splenda like Sam's. Cutting back on sugar is definitely a good idea :) One thing I do know of is that Mission brand tortillas have whole wheat low carb options, however they are pricey compared to regular tortillas.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I have a scheduled appointment with dietician at the end of the month. I am not on insulin only medication so far so good. Getting to the gym is the problem, motivation. But once there 1/2 hour on treadmill is fine, I did it no problem my pulse was 144 and was at 2.1 on the tread mill.

I am going to try cosco to see if diet sugar there for baking. Not a member at Sams club. I am trying to avoid any regular sugar, think that is wise. I can see about using wheat flour instead of flour for baking? Might not taste as well but be healthier for you.

I rarely have motivation so what I focus on is the discipline to create habits. For example, I've made a habit of exercising at lunch time so I don't really need to think about it - I just do it. And on the rare occasions I get stuck at work at lunch I get anxious and so extract myself and go exercise.

Like you, once I start, I'm fine :)

I grew up on whole wheat flour. In fact, my mother and grandfather bought wheat berries in 25 or 50 pound sacks and ground the wheat by hand.

These days, I just keep a little on hand so I can add it to certain baked goods and tell my mom, yes, there is WW flour in that.

For me, what is healthiest is limiting baked goods and eating more fruit. Fruit also has way less calories than baked goods. Since you are T2, do discuss with your dietitian.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    DiabetesTeam on facebook or you can go through there website.

https://www.diabetesteam.com/

you are lucky not to be on insulin because it sucks. you can buy sugar low or what ever it's called but it can cost a fortune. you can still have regulare foods just not that much
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have a scheduled appointment with dietician at the end of the month. I am not on insulin only medication so far so good. Getting to the gym is the problem, motivation. But once there 1/2 hour on treadmill is fine, I did it no problem my pulse was 144 and was at 2.1 on the tread mill.

I am going to try cosco to see if diet sugar there for baking. Not a member at Sams club. I am trying to avoid any regular sugar, think that is wise. I can see about using wheat flour instead of flour for baking? Might not taste as well but be healthier for you.

I rarely have motivation so what I focus on is the discipline to create habits. For example, I've made a habit of exercising at lunch time so I don't really need to think about it - I just do it. And on the rare occasions I get stuck at work at lunch I get anxious and so extract myself and go exercise.

Like you, once I start, I'm fine :)

I grew up on whole wheat flour. In fact, my mother and grandfather bought wheat berries in 25 or 50 pound sacks and ground the wheat by hand.

These days, I just keep a little on hand so I can add it to certain baked goods and tell my mom, yes, there is WW flour in that.

For me, what is healthiest is limiting baked goods and eating more fruit. Fruit also has way less calories than baked goods. Since you are T2, do discuss with your dietitian.

Limiting baked good is really a must in your situation. They are high sugar and a highly palatable combination of carbs and fats that are totally counterproductive to what you need to do to improve your health.
  • pattyann1750
    pattyann1750 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and have been overweight most of my adult yrs.I would gain and loose repeatedly.I started my fitness pal sept 1 and started reading books and articles on health as well as u tube videos by Dr.Ken Berry (low carb diet) and Dr.Fung on intermittent fasting and and diabetic foods.Extremely educational and eye opening.Pinterest has amazing recipes for low carb .As far as baking you have to be the judge on your triggers.I am a good cook and excellent baker but I also know I am an overeater and like an alcoholic have to face my demons therefore I did not bake anything for the first 3 months and during that time researched a ton .Now I do make sugar free ,low carb cookies and sugar free ,low carb cheesecake but I portion out the whole thing at once so I am not tempted to overeat.I weigh and measure everything and record it in my fitness pal app.I have a male friend who lost over 100# 10 yrs ago and said he still weighs and measures everything.He says"I am a recovering fat man " It made perfect sense to me.I now have that mindset.For diabetics counting carbs is critical,Not all dieticians have caught up with this.Do yourself a favor and start watching those u tube videos by those doctors and they will so inspire and educate you CORRECTLY.I wish you well on your journey and look forward to your posts.God Bless,Trish
  • tanyanelson922
    Options
    I just had a reading below 20, ate candy bar andes 6 pieces and coffee, two sugar packets, steamfresh mixed vegetables two cups and 1 cup fruit juice. I am checking it in an hour to see if rose.
  • tanyanelson922
    Options
    eat andes 6 mints, 1 cup fruit juice and coffee with two sugar subsitute packets and 2 cup veggies. In 15 minutes was 170 blood level.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    Your blood sugar should be up after candy, sugar, and fruit juice! I was usually told to drink juice. I was in the hospital and crashed and was given a turkey sandwich. You should let your doctor know you're going that low. Also, there's glucose tablets you can take.

I was diagnosed summer before last at the ER, my feet were so swollen I couldn't get shoes on and I needed insulin to get my blood sugar down. I'd been losing weight but am down 70lbs since diagnosed and no longer on medication. I'm 48 too. My insurance didn't cover a dietitian or counselor so I did a lot of research, plus have family members who are diabetic. My last A1C was 4.5, fasting blood sugar was 67 this morning.

You already have a lot of good advice, I'll try to answer questions. Two sweeteners I like are monkfruit which you can get at Costco called Lakanto in an orange bag or stevia. Monkfruit doesn't dissolve in cold drinks. You'll want to look into low carb meals like non-starchy vegetables and protein. Fats are ok too though I don't eat many. Easy ways to make are roasted vegetables, sheet pan meals, and stir fry. Check out keto/low carb info for recipes, diet, and alternatives to things like breads and sweets. As for exercise, I'd start walking after dinner or on a cardio machine at the gym. Weights are great too! I do weights 3xs a week and cardio every day. To get to the gym or working out I remind myself that I could easily end up back on medication! I was also bedridden from chronic pain so just being able to be mobile is a huge blessing. I think your appointment with a dietitian will help make things less overwhelming. Hang in there, you got this!
  • helpfit1002
    helpfit1002 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners can still work a little bit like sugar. They affect your blood glucose levels and seem to make you want sugary snacks (cookies, candy, cake) more. I found the more carbs I ate, the more I yearned for sugary snacks (cookies, candy). For example, if I ate some sweet sugary bread, it would make me more want to eat candy or cookies. You might be the same, or not of course.
  • tanyanelson922
    Options
    I am trying to stay away from baked good, got some recipes with no sugar and flour added, cookies and granola bars and when can afford may make those. I might start making my own bread too, so less sugar and using stavia from Walmart it is only 10 dollars for 5-10 lb cannot remember, looked like good deal. No one in the house will eat diet sugar stuff. So my food is completely seperate.
  • tanyanelson922
    Options
    so far with what eat but not been to dietician, I do not feel hungry. I feel like getting plenty of foods.
  • tanyanelson922
    Options
    Have passed up muffins and many any snacks like potato chips, high salt and baked goods. I do not want to eat unless it seems healthy. I even ate a grapefruit which do not care for, but it is good for you.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Try and read up ond understand the pathophysiology of your disease. High BGL, high BP, oedema, urinary incontinance and osesity will all make better sense to you as to 'why', once you understand how the disease affects the body. Then you can learn how to manage it.