Shape up running shoes

Options
This may have been discussed before, I don't know but I am considering buying sketchers shape up runners and have a few questions.

1. Do they actually help more than standard running shoes or am I wasting excess money?

2. I have a bad knee (torn miniscus) and am wondering if the form of the shoe will aggrevate my issue.

Any thoughts on the subject I would appreciate before I go out and buy them

Thanks!
Jen

Replies

• wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i don't know much about them. I have heard people say their legs feel better when they wear them, but not sure about the details. i have a doctor who recommends the spring shoes )can't remember what they are actually called. he swears by them for his plantar fascititis.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Don't. Just don't.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    These type of shoes are typically TERRIBLE for running. You're best off getting fitted for a shoe at a running store.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Some people are suing Sketchers and other "toning" shoe companies because the shoes have changed their gait and for some the pressure on the knees and hips increased.
    Go to a podiatrist and have them check to see if your body can accept this type of shoe.

IMO get a good pair of running shoes. You want to make your workout harder, wear a weight vest or ankle weights.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be putting in serious mileage, then I would recommend against them, especially since you have a knee injury. Go to a running specialty store and have your feet and running gait analyzed. They should be able to recommend a running shoe for you based on this information.
  • shoemakerdr
    shoemakerdr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't get them! They are really just a big scam. There's been a study which showed NO difference between shape ups and traditional running shoes. If anything, they are just more unstable because there is such a big lift. With knee problems, I wouldn't get them if I were you. Just get some regular running shoes.
  • dianediaz
    dianediaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have some concerns about those shoes for running. I guess they're fine to wear just to walk around, do errands, stuff like that. But for running I would be extremely careful about using them. I'm not sure they are really meant for that purpose. If you really want to check into them for running, do some online research to see what running experts (Runners World is a good starting point) are saying about them.

Just be careful. You can really hurt yourself with bad shoes.

Good luck!
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    These type of shoes are typically TERRIBLE for running. You're best off getting fitted for a shoe at a running store.
    I invested in a pair and I can honestly agree. Go get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. It will save you money and save that knee.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Just do lunges instead of walking everywhere.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GET THEM

Healthy knees or not. and if youre a runner seriously just spend the money on good running shoes.

I stopped wearing mine as often after rolling an ankle in them. The was in a car accident, when cleared to start activity started wearing them again only to get a HUGE lecture from my chiropractor!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Don't. Just don't.

THIS!
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    For running I would not use them, but I love to wear them as casual shoes, since I wear them my knees don't hurt anymore for longer walks and my posture actually got better. But really running, I would recommend real running shoes, for longer walks, yes I love my shape ups, the benefits for me were fantastic.
  • stinastudios
    stinastudios Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wore my first pair of shape ups (The older taller kind) for a little over a year. The first 9 months or so they were amazing (For walking, don't try to run in them, feels weird as hell). They are very comfortable and I could walk all day and not get knee pain.

However the last 3 months I believe the cushions had really worn out, and they started GIVING me pain in my ankles and knees.

I bought a pair of the newer ones and those wore out in less than 6 months (This is with me wearing them all day to work at an office job with some walking throughout the day)

I haven't bought another pair since.
  • bolsen7
    Options
    I bought a pair but only for walking I would not run in them! I think they are very comfortable when hiking.