Noodle Alternative?

Options
Hi!

I'm trying to find a yummy alternative to pasta... I looove pasta, but I'm doing a lower carb intake to help aide my weight loss for a while. So, if anyone has a recommendation, please let ya girl know!

Thank you in advance! :)

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I use steamed or roasted veggies. So many to choose from! Plus they are low in calorie and high in fiber.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice or zoodles made out of zucchini, squash and carrots. My local store sells them fresh and packaged.
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I love zoodles or other veggie pasta. Or just fill up on veggies in general, it'll provide you with extra servings of vegetables and will be full of fiber.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird, but I often have turkey marinara on chopped broccoli. You get used to it!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I sautée cauliflower in butter till soft and use in “noodle” soups or with spaghetti sauce and lately I’ve been doing eggplant “noodles” made with a julienne peeler
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,613 Member
    Options
    I like the texture of real pasta. But I don't mind replacing 30% with spiralized vegetables.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Shirataki spinach fettuccine. 0 calories. It’s an acquired taste but I love it. If prepared correctly, it’s a good replacement for pasta.
  • Get_Fit_Rach
    Get_Fit_Rach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is something called Pasta Zero or Shiritaki noodles. I find mine in the vegetable refrigeration section of the grocery store. It is actually from a plant root with barely any carbs. The texture is a bit chewy for me, but otherwise very similar to pasta. They have different noodle sizes, but I normally buy the one like spaghetti or ramen.
    You just rinse and cook. Cooking takes only a couple minutes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Chickpea pasta is decent, higher protein than wheat pasta, but a little flatter tasting so better IMO with hearty/flavorful sauces. But I suspect it may still have more carbs than you'd like, I dunno. (I don't low carb.) Per 2oz dry, 190 cals, 32g carbs (8g fiber), 14g protein, for some Banza brand I have.

There's also stuff like edamame fettuccine, or black bean spaghetti, which is much higher protein (about 3x or more than wheat pasta protein), but I find these too chewy to enjoy in Italian-esque sauces. Good, IMO, in pseudo-Asian dishes, though, with peanut sauce (PB2 or equivalent for reduce calories), miso, or soy sauce, plus veggies and seasonings - that sort of thing. Per 2oz dry, 180 cals, 20g carb (14g fiber), 24g protein, for some Explore Asian brand edamame/mung fettuccine on my shelf.

US labels, so the carbs noted should be gross carbs, I think.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I found a pasta/noodles alternative which is pretty good (well - tasteless but once you add stuff to it it's good). It's called Barenaked Noodles and they even do a protein one too https://www.harrisfarm.com.au/products/barenaked-noodles (Australia - but they might have an equivalent wherever you are)

The only problem I have with them is that I am starving not long after I eat them. Great for volume - I can eat the entire packet for hardly any calories, but it also doens't keep me full. Which would be the same for all those zoodle type things anyway.
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The brand I eat is called “Better Than” and they make rice, spaghetti and a couple versions of noodles. It is made from konjac root flour, has almost no calories and zero net carbs. If you rinse it well and dry fry it for a few minutes it is quite good. It isn’t something I eat alone, mostly I eat it with meat, cheese and vegetables, but sometimes with broth also. I find it to be a good alternative.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm trying to find a yummy alternative to pasta... I looove pasta, but I'm doing a lower carb intake to help aide my weight loss for a while. So, if anyone has a recommendation, please let ya girl know!

Thank you in advance! :)

Ciao @frankiesteinx3 ! - check out black bean squid ink spaghetti. It’s the most similar in texture to basic semolina that I’ve found and half the carbs, triple the fiber and quadruple the mineral content! Definitely better for your nutritional buck. Don’t overcook!
    Re: taste - I keep this in my cupboard in Roma and the family enjoys! A little olio, basil and maybe some parm cheese and you’re good to go! Let us know what you try! 👩‍🍳

Black Bean - Squid Ink Spaghetti - nutritional profile:
    PER 2 OZ: 215 calories, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 4 mg sodium, 23 g carbs (12 g fiber), 25 g protein
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Definitely try spaghetti squash! I just started eating it recently and it's so good.