I suddenly can’t run even make it halfway through my usual run and I have no idea why. Help!!

Options
So I’ve been doing a 28 minute run at 5mph, not fast or long, but I just started running a few months ago, so I don’t want to push it. Last week, I went to do my usual run. I did about 19 minutes and my heart rate was at 196, I was exhausted, I had to stop. Fast forward a few days to today (I wanted to make sure I was recovered since I got so exhausted), I got only 11 minutes in the same thing happened!! I had to flat out stop not even halfway through my run! I’ve been eating the same, same shoes, same clothes, same treadmill. Nothing has changed. I’m a 24f. Any ideas as to why this is happening? My blood pressure and resting HR are the same. I’m so confused. The 28 minute run isn’t ever easy by any means as I’m quite out of shape, but it’s manageable. Now I can apparently only do 11 minutes with death?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind is hydration and rest...have either of these changed? If you're well rested and well hydrated, I would suggest starting out your run at a slower pace and gradually increasing as you warm up. If you start feeling exhausted, slow your pace (even if you have to walk), recover, and pick up speed again.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Run slower
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I’m gonna say it, and I apologize in advance, but...this happens to me right before I get sick.

I’m not saying you’re definitely getting sick. It could be other things. I’m just saying that is a common pattern for me: my normal run is way harder than usual for no apparent reason, then a couple days later, the cold hits.
  • tarisa01
    tarisa01 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I’m gonna say it, and I apologize in advance, but...this happens to me right before I get sick.

I’m not saying you’re definitely getting sick. It could be other things. I’m just saying that is a common pattern for me: my normal run is way harder than usual for no apparent reason, then a couple days later, the cold hits.

My husband has strep throat right now, so that could be what is happening. Maybe I’m fighting something.
  • tarisa01
    tarisa01 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind is hydration and rest...have either of these changed? If you're well rested and well hydrated, I would suggest starting out your run at a slower pace and gradually increasing as you warm up. If you start feeling exhausted, slow your pace (even if you have to walk), recover, and pick up speed again.

I only got 5 hours of sleep last night and worked 12 hours. This is a possibility. Thanks. Didn’t know such a small change in how much energy I have could affect stamina so much.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I was pregnant. So.....??
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Adding another option to the mix - low iron due to monthly cycle? Mine used to be so heavy (pre hysterectomy) that I was worthless for days at a time...

And as @healingnurturer mentioned, early pregnancy did it to me as well. I remember running basic errands with the kids and I felt like I had lead in my feet, I had my hand on a 5hr Energy bottle in the checkout line (and I had never had one before, didn’t drink coffee or anything, still don’t) because I was so tired I thought I was going to cry and it dawned on me what might be the issue... one positive test later and my hunch was confirmed.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is low ferritin. When my iron stores are low, my HR is higher and running feels much more difficult.

Give it a few days and see if you do get sick. If not, try the pregnancy test. If that comes up negative, get a ferritin test. If that yields nothing, go see your doctor. Things like mono, Lyme, West Nile, etc. will affect your energy.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I was pregnant. So.....??

Same here, but has also happened when I haven't been eating enough, too stressed, getting sick. But, what stands out the most is your heart rate going up quickly too, which is exactly what happened before I found out I was pregnant. I hope you feel better soon.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My first thought was the same as apullum already said. I've been running for years and noticed when I'm about to get a virus or cold it really takes my energy.
    Also keep an eye on hydration.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat well or hydrate the day before it will affect my run the next day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    tarisa01 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »

My husband has strep throat right now, so that could be what is happening. Maybe I’m fighting something.
    tarisa01 wrote: »

I only got 5 hours of sleep last night and worked 12 hours. This is a possibility. Thanks. Didn’t know such a small change in how much energy I have could affect stamina so much.

These are the most likely reasons, but also, are you fueling your workouts by eating some percentage of your exercise calories back?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Adding another option to the mix - low iron due to monthly cycle? Mine used to be so heavy (pre hysterectomy) that I was worthless for days at a time...

And as @healingnurturer mentioned, early pregnancy did it to me as well. I remember running basic errands with the kids and I felt like I had lead in my feet, I had my hand on a 5hr Energy bottle in the checkout line (and I had never had one before, didn’t drink coffee or anything, still don’t) because I was so tired I thought I was going to cry and it dawned on me what might be the issue... one positive test later and my hunch was confirmed.

Yup, I have anemia which I treat with supplements every day and high iron foods during my period, but my blood loss is so great that it can take up to a week to recover.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yep, when this happens to me I can usually trace it to an oncoming illness, lack of hydration or fatigue/lack of sleep, all of which are easy to happen at this time when everyone is busy and stressed out. My heart rate also gets very high if I recently had caffeine.