Do chia seeds cause constipation?

Options
Okay sorry this may be a weird question but I just want to know do they cause constipation?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    My husband had all kinds of digestive problems when he tried them. So, yeah, some people might have issues, but it depends on the person. I know a lot of people who eat them every day and don't have problems.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    They have a lot of fiber, so if you have too many too quickly, it can cause that problem. If you start small and increase gradually, they should improve regularity.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    They could a be a cause of it, or conversely, diarrhea, depending on how much you have and how fiber affects you. I know that if I have too much fiber, it does unpleasant things to my stomach. But everyone is different.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I think that would be a rare side effect, fiber helps to keep things moving.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    If you've suddenly increased your overall fiber significantly, that can go one of two ways...but I'd say usually it's the other way unless you're going way overboard.

Have you started eating a lot more protein than usual by chance? That can do it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Increasing my fiber makes me go more, not less.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you've suddenly increased your overall fiber significantly, that can go one of two ways...but I'd say usually it's the other way unless you're going way overboard.

Have you started eating a lot more protein than usual by chance? That can do it.

Or if the calories from the chia seeds are crowding out adequate fat intake.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    The soluble fiber content of chia seeds takes more time to travel through the intestinal tract, which helps add bulk to the stool, and sometimes causes constipation.

Do you suffer from diverticulosis? Sometimes a lot of soluble fiber makes diverticulosis worses, and the seeds itself are not easy to digest by people with that condition.

Note:I am referring to my own experience, and probably other people with diverticulosis don't have the same problem. problem
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    What are you having with the chia?

Protein powder, a big increase in dairy and calcium supplements do that to me. E.g. if you’re having “chia pudding” with milk and/or protein powder, it might not be the chia but the stuff you’re having with it that’s the culprit. I eat dairy every day (100g Greek yogurt, milk in my coffee and often cheese) and ~35g fiber daily without problems. As others said, a sudden increase can cause temporary problems without sufficient water and fats.