For the ladies

Options
No matter how hard I try when my time of the month comes around I just can't help but eat everything. It's like the switch in my brain to tell me to stop eating literally turns off. It's so frustrating. :cry: I'll be like "I'll just eat half of this" or "I will not stop at that dairy queen" but before I know it, I'm eating. :embarassed:

Any tips to stop the cravings?? Or sweet stuff to snack on that isn't uber bad for you?? Would love some help!!!

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am the same way and the only thing I can tell you is pure willpower. You just have to ride it out. I plan on sleeping in a little and going to bed earlier to lmit my "eating hours" and I make sure I keep up with my exercise. It is TOUGH and I have 10 days of pms every month.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'd say plan for indulges that week. Plan for some more healthful ones. Drink more water and just accept this is part of being a woman.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Saw where someone said that almonds will help with the chocolate craving..something to do with your body wanting to replace the magnesium or iron or something that you are losing during that TOM. !??!!??! Not sure how true this is, though
  • rahewson4
    Options
    agree with above poster. you just have to stop yourself!! i also eat mushrooms if i feel the need to munch because they are low calorie and not such a distinct taste like celery and you won't hurt your diet by eating a bunch. sometimes i put fat free sour cream on them too and that helps me switch my brain into remembering im not hungry, just stuffing my face without breaking my calorie goal!! hope this helps. i know it's so bad. just constant hunger :( but you CAN do it. i know it!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    willpower! pretzels for salt and smart ones sundaes or 100 cal packs for chocolate :)
  • princesssports
    Options
    i have found that tho they are a little high in calories yogurt covered raisins one serving has helped as well as eating a pickle they are very low calorie. but you dont have to give up sweets completely find a healthier option. Try non fat plain or vanilla yogurt with ice, cocco powder and honey make a healthy smoothie!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with that RIGHT NOW. *dies*
    Almonds do me no good. I got a bag of trail mix and ate the whole damn thing. I won't even mention how many servings were in there... it's bad.
    What works best for me is dark fruit. Frozen blueberries are divine. Frozen blueberries in a bowl of soymilk = even better. I also have this 'Vega Health Food Optimizer" in chai vanilla flavor and it immediately makes me want to NOT eat when I have just one scoop of that in some cold water.

Hot tea. That's also a good one.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a voracious beast during PMS - both because of cravings and actual increased appetite. Try to narrow down your exact craving. Sometimes my craving for chocolate comes across as a craving for sweets. I could eat sweets all day long and not be satisfied until I eat chocolate. I have 1 square of dark chocolate, and that's it. I don't enjoy it enough to eat TOO much (unless it's Dove and there's some Malbec involved.) Dark chocolate addresses the actual craving in the fewest amount of calories.

If the craving is for salty/fatty foods, have a small amount, and get rid of the rest if there is any. I don't buy large anything anymore. I don't keep it in the house. Also have a few drops of hot sauce with it. Don't ask. Just do it. LOL

Good luck.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Rather than depending on sheer willpower plan for the lesser of the evils and plan to have things convenient.
    -- I'm a big fan of dark chocolate. that with some peanutbutter. is a treat and you're still getting some nutrition. Of course the key here is portion control. But I find portion control much easier with more satisfying foods.
    -- I love coffee I usually do skim, no sugar, but having an iced coffee with real milk and real sugar feels like a treat to me now. A packet of sugar is what 16 cal. even if you use 2 that's 32 calories. Still treaty, but not as bad as anything you'll get at DQ.
    -- Keep fruit clementines or the little apples, grapes, cheries or berries... whatever available. If a clementine is convenient odds are you'll grab that first.

Comprise rather than depriving yourself completely. It's not about being perfect it's about doing better.

As you slowly and consistently make changes to improve your diet your tastes will change. I made jello sugar-free fat-free pudding yesterday which I used to love BEFORE I was dieting and now it just tasted horribly chemical, I got little satisfaction from it and was unsuccessful when it came to portion control.
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    if you really like GOTTA have icecream buy the weight watchers or skinny cow, or aldi has fit & active brand. they are all around 100-150 calories & most are really good. dont deprive yourself just swap for better choices!
    good luck on your journey & never give up! & if you have a bad day, exercise more :)
  • jessicajones1022
    jessicajones1022 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!!! Looks like I need to go shopping (healthy thought :)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate powdered almonds (they make 100 cal packs too) and they are great