Over 40 and just getting started

Options
Hi, I’m Nancy and I am over 40 and just getting started. I have been over weight my whole life, yo-yo dieting at every turn. I want this to be different. I have over 80 lbs to lose and I want to keep it off. I do believe in the 80/20 rule, exercises on a daily basis, and I want to have a wholesome lifestyle (mind, body & soul) approach. I’m not here to impress anyone but rather to encourage and motivate. Who’s with me or am I alone in this?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    All the best :smile: I was 42 when I decided enough was enough and changes had to happen...
    and you know what, I've never looked back - been maintaining that loss for over 6 years. If I can do it, anyone can. :smile:
  • CdnCowgirl15
    CdnCowgirl15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All the best :smile: I was 42 when I decided enough was enough and changes had to happen...
    and you know what, I've never looked back - been maintaining that loss for over 6 years. If I can do it, anyone can. :smile:

Thank you. Would you mind if I added you as a friend here?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    add away :smile:
  • CdnCowgirl15
    CdnCowgirl15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    add away :smile:
    Thank you so much.
  • roxie2904
    roxie2904 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in my mid forties & this is my 2nd time trying mfp, previously was finding it a chore to keep logging food & my motivation was low.

This time around I'd like to be friends with others for inspiration & any tips & advice to make the process easier lol. Feel free to add me as a friend as I can't see how to do it!
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and have tried multiple times to lose weight over the last 6-7 years. Getting old isn’t fun but I don’t have to be fat, too. I think I have learned from my past mistakes. I am not going to do any extreme diets this time. I crash and burn every time. So I am doing small changes and moving more and hopefully I can lose weight and keep up the healthier way of living. I think the results will be slower but I am working on being patient.
  • BadassSavageVix
    BadassSavageVix Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm not over 40 but happy to support and encourage as much as is needed. Feel free to add me.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm 48. 4 years ago I made this decision. I'm never turning back.
  • mworeilly
    mworeilly Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I’ve been doing this since January and making good progress I want to be at my ultimate goal before I need to join the over 50 group. Feel
    Free to add me. Have a great day.
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I got started (2nd time) this year as a 43 year old but this time it’s gonna stick. I started in October 2019 and I’m still going! Just 6 lbs left until my initial goal but I may go another 10 just to get to the cosmetic effect. I think I am already close to my college weight but it would be great to get to my high school weight and really turn back time.
    This will be the best decade ever!
    Feel free to add me
  • alisonbennett16
    alisonbennett16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been off and on My Fitness Pal and I've never used this message board. I really wish I had jumped in earlier but I'm glad to be here now. I've just turned 40, I've been very fit/slim in my life or very unfit/overweight. I'm here to make the final change. I'm really inspired by your posts.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I started in my late 30's. I lost 80 pounds and now in my 7th year maintaining.

Now in my mid-40's and I feel so good and it feels great wearing single digit sized clothing and size smalls and mediums. Working everyday to stay here. My 40's are amazing!

Good luck!
  • Kellee4
    Kellee4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey Nancy. I am 46 and starting for the 3rd time. I'm feeling wiser, more committed and ready to change. My first goal is 30kgs (@65lbs). Then another 15kgs (@30lbs) after that. I know I can do this. Happy to hear from you if you want to chat :smiley:
  • lycheepoptarts
    lycheepoptarts Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in my late 50's and MFP works for me! Best wishes on your journey, Nancy. Feel free to add me, if you'd like! :)
  • kshields5564
    kshields5564 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello all
    No one ever told me getting old would be this fun. I’ve gained more weight in the last 2 years than I did when I was pregnant with either of my 3 kids. Never really dealing with a weight issue in my life I didn’t know where to begin. Well, I laced up my tennis shoes and I’m walking everyday and I guess I’m what some call fasting because I don’t eat after 7pm. Only a week in but I’m hopeful to see some results in 30 days. Any advice would greatly be appreciated‼️