New(ish:) Member

Options
Hi everyone, I'm Rich. I thought I'd give food tracking a go, as it's something that I've never tried, although I have had good success in the past with just exercise & diet, but thought I could get in even better condition with My Fitness Pal.

Replies

• forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    Hi Rich!
    This site has awesome support and encouragement. And yes - tracking is an essential tool for weight loss so you’ve come to the right place. Welcome 😊
  • richardprice234rp
    Options
    Hey, thank you for the reply. Yes, I'm excited to see the end result in April. It's strange being back on social media, as it's been nearly 4 years I spoke to someone online. Where are you from anyway? I'm from a place called Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, United Kingdom.
  • BrownSugar174
    BrownSugar174 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi Rich and welcome! I’ve been on MFP for 44 days now and I’ve shed 4.8 pounds. Prior to this I’ve shed 40 pounds because my hubby and I (both retired) cut down eating out from 3-5 times a week to 1-2 month (good southern eating for sure😂). I’m focused on shedding a 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week. I do 60 minutes on the elliptical 5 days a week and a weight workout 3 times a week. I really love MFP because I can choose to stay under my calorie amount or go over on certain days. I love the community because everyone is moving in the same direction however slowly and quickly we get there🥰
  • richardprice234rp
    Options
    Hey Linda,

Thank you for the welcome, and also insightful message. Yes, I've heard that southern food is amazing! Ha!
  • talexander1837
    talexander1837 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Rich!
    Welcome. I just finished week 6, and I've lost 11.4 pounds. I've been on program after program, and this is the first one in a long time that has worked for me. I have quite a ways to go, I really think that the accountability (to yourself) by keeping track of everything you eat and how much you move your body is the key. I love MFP...I wish that I'd found it a long time ago. Best of luck to you.
  • richardprice234rp
    Options
    Hey, thanks for that. You're quite right though, it is the key.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to message me with all your experiences. I honestly do appreciate it :)
  • Activebrit87
    Activebrit87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    After having a baby (2 months ago), I’m eager to lose the baby weight. My challenge is finding the time to go to the gym and child care. Since, I’m a single parent. In the meantime, I use the app to track my food and stay under the calorie.
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Rich. I thought I'd give food tracking a go, as it's something that I've never tried, although I have had good success in the past with just exercise & diet, but thought I could get in even better condition with My Fitness Pal.

I had been working out properly for a year before I started using MFP, it seriously made so much difference to my progress. If you aren't already, I also suggest using a food scale, I had NO idea about portion sizes before.
  • richardprice234rp
    Options
    Thank you Buttie. Yes I am using scales. Both at home, plus at work to. I've always had an idea, as I've been training now for well over 30 years. I just really want to see what kind of condition I can get in by food tracking, instead of just sight and guess work I suppose. I'm really enjoying it at the moment though. Thank you very much for your message though, I really appreciate it!
  • richardprice234rp
    Options
    Hello,
    After having a baby (2 months ago), I’m eager to lose the baby weight. My challenge is finding the time to go to the gym and child care. Since, I’m a single parent. In the meantime, I use the app to track my food and stay under the calorie.

Hiya! Wow, it sounds like you've got your hands full. Fair play to you for being able to even motivate yourself, only two months after giving birth, especially as a single parent too. I have total respect for you!
  • Activebrit87
    Activebrit87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you. All I can do is try. My real motivation is looking at the cute clothes in my closet and wanting to fit in them again. Finding outdoor activities to do together has been awesome / relaxing (hiking or just walking)😀