terrible blisters!!

Options
I have been working out for about a month now and ever since then, i have gotten horrible, i mean HORRIBLE blisters on my left foot. And it's only my left....Right now, i have 2 on the back of my heel and one huge one going from in between my toes to the ball of my foot! It hurts so bad. I wrap up my feet before every workout with gauze and medical tape. I have even bought new shoes. I have tried 3 pairs of shoes and they all give me blisters! I find them to be getting worse even with putting guaze over them, or new one develop. anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is true or not, but a friend of mine who used to do a lot of hiking said that duct tape worked? Not sure, but it's worth a shot?
  • JPHI
    JPHI Posts: 2
    Options
    What type of socks are you wearing? Your socks are just as important as good shoes.
  • melmarler
    Options
    Your socks could be the culprit. When I started running I was wearing cotton socks. I found out that is a bad idea. Get some socks designed for running. I also started using Body Glide on my feet. It is for anti-chafing/anti irritation. Both of these have helped reduce my blisters considerably.
  • juggalotus
    juggalotus Posts: 227
    Options
    What type of socks are you wearing? Your socks are just as important as good shoes.

Socks from old navy. All my socks give me blisters too, thin or thick, it doesn't matter.
  • juggalotus
    Options
    Your socks could be the culprit. When I started running I was wearing cotton socks. I found out that is a bad idea. Get some socks designed for running. I also started using Body Glide on my feet. It is for anti-chafing/anti irritation. Both of these have helped reduce my blisters considerably.

Ohhh thanks! :) do you have any store names that you could give me that sell running socks? What kind do you get? And where do you get "body glide" from? My friend told me about something like that but i couldn't find it at walmart or anything
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Once your blisters are mostly healed, use the medical tape without the gauze (the gauze itself can rub). Meanwhile, try those stick-on silica blister pads. Double-check that your shoes are the right size (including the right width), and suitable for the kind of exercise you are doing. Try talc or foot powder in your shoes, as having damp feet makes blisters more likely. If all this fails, see a podiatrist: perhaps there is something odd about your gait that is causing blisters now and may cause bigger problems later if it isn't addressed. Or perhaps your feet are an unusual shape and your need different shoes.
  • CelenaOlson
    Options
    The socks is important, for sure. But you say it's only one foot? Might be that your feet have enough of a difference that they're different sizes. You might be fitting your shoe to fit one foot, but not the other. I know there's at least one site online where you can swap different sized shoes with other people who have different sized feet. (heard about it on the news years back). Blisters are caused by rubbing and sliding, so it's very possible that this is the problem. If you don't want to wear different sized shoes, then buy top of the line runners' socks, and possibly double up on one foot to make the shoe more snug.
  • downlbs
    downlbs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I once heard that for blisters on feet wear two pairs of thin sock as that makes the socks rub together...not the sock vs the skin...???sounds crazy I know.
  • ckclontz
    Options
    Have you had your feet measured? It sounds like your left shoe is too large for your left foot. I have the same problem in that my feet are off by half a size, with my right (US 8.5) smaller than my left (US 9). Most decent stores are good about switching up the sizes because they want your business, and they can always get another shoe to match up the mix-matched leftovers!

Duct tape WILL work as temporary measure, but it doesn't solve the underlying issue, which sounds suspiciously like a poorly fitting shoe.

Good luck and good health!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I once heard that for blisters on feet wear two pairs of thin sock as that makes the socks rub together...not the sock vs the skin...???sounds crazy I know.

Yes, two pairs of socks does really help in my experience. I'd forgotten about that!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes, the two-sock trick is with a thin pair of snug but not tight synthetic socks (to wick moisture away from the foot) first, and a thicker sock on top of that. The friction occurs between the socks instead of between the sock and skin. It works for hiking too.
  • melmarler
    Options
    I got my socks from a running store, Fleet Feet. They are more expensive but very much worth it. The brand I got are Zulu. I got the BodyGlide from Fleet Feet as well. The people who work at running stores are a wealth of information. They are usually runners themselves and can tell you from experience what does/does not work.
  • tlcoke
    Options
    Body Glide is available at D**k's Sporting Goods (I usually find it in the Soccer section at my store).