Starting Strong Curves when obese

Options
Is there anyone who has started Strong Curves whilst obese? i am 240lb and 5.6ft and would like to start this weighlifting programme.It says its suitable for beginners but I worry I will keep up.I got the book which I have started reading.
If there is anything more suitable,I am open to suggestions.thanks

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    You can do it - just take your time and progress slowly. Beginners who are obese often have form issues on squats and deadlifts, so watch several tutorials on youtube, and also video yourself doing the exercises. You can upload the vids here if you're unsure.. or hire a trainer to check your form. :+1:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine for beginners. It will give you some options so that you can substitute exercises if needed. Personally, I like stronglifts because it is very simple and straight forward. I haven't found another program that I can do with the minimal equipment available to me. Most programs I look into require more equipment or just seem overly complicated to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    zuzanao wrote: »
    Is there anyone who has started Strong Curves whilst obese? i am 240lb and 5.6ft and would like to start this weighlifting programme.It says its suitable for beginners but I worry I will keep up.I got the book which I have started reading.

I'm your height and have been your weight. I'm not a beginner, but did not find Strong Curves or Strong suitable for me. (However, I believe both of their intros are well worth reading.)

I can't remember which one had an upper body exercise that made me think "For beginners? Are you fracking kidding me?" And neither had sufficient options for lower body workouts that I could do at home with my knee issues.

I found them both unnecessarily complicated for so-called beginners including too much flipping around through the book.

I did incorporate Strong Curves' Testing Exercises from page 25 into my routine. (People who get the free sample of the book from Amazon will see these.)

What I find truly suitable for beginners (and me) is The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too!

I started off with low weight dumbbells and straps, and added a weight bench and a set of dumbbells later on.

I got a Gold's Gym bench at Walmart. Here are the dumbbells: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RNW3OQ/

81oqF8h5rmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have a yoga ball somewhere in my Mom's barn but did not bother to find it and inflate it - I use the bench or a chair, or I stand for the exercises that called for the yoga ball.

He recommends a thingy for the door - I just used my feet to hold the door.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What are you worried about “keeping up” with? You can go at your own pace and modify as needed. That’s the beauty of an at home program. If you did somehow “fail” no one will know snd you can just keep working on it.

I started strength training at 300 lb. It was the best thing I ever did.

I'm a very experienced modifier, but was not able to modify SC for me. That's not to disagree with strength training for beginners - I just didn't find SC to be a good program for someone with limitations like me and imagine it could be unnecessarily complicated for beginners.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options

There is a 12 week body weight only programme in the book if I remember right. You could start with that and see how you go. Just do what you can manage and build up.

I think the range of exercises could be a bit overwhelming as a novice and I wasn’t a big fan of the programme personally but plenty people on here like it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I did all 26 weeks of Strong Curves and you can easily modify. Personally, I would start with body weight exercises and move up to dumbbells and so forth.

Take your time and go at your own pace.

I think this will be a great program for you!

Good luck!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What are you worried about “keeping up” with? You can go at your own pace and modify as needed. That’s the beauty of an at home program. If you did somehow “fail” no one will know snd you can just keep working on it.

I'm a very experienced modifier, but was not able to modify SC for me. That's not to disagree with strength training for beginners - I just didn't find SC to be a good program for someone with limitations like me and imagine it could be unnecessarily complicated for beginners.

You could try something like strong lifts and use dumbbells. It’s very simple and effective.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

There is a 12 week body weight only programme in the book if I remember right. You could start with that and see how you go. Just do what you can manage and build up.

I think the range of exercises could be a bit overwhelming as a novice and I wasn’t a big fan of the programme personally but plenty people on here like it.

Agreed the exercises are a bit exotic for untrained person in terms of basic needs. I lean towards not trying to major in the minors when green. I'm not a fan of the programming either but for a newer lifter it can be fine. Particularly when more geared towards hypertrophy with appropriate volume for the individual who's goal is to lose weight.

That being said a lifter who is untrained will respond to any program. It simply doesn't matter the first couple months.

What ever program you can adhere to, will do you fine for the time being until you need more advanced programming.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

You could try something like strong lifts and use dumbbells. It’s very simple and effective.

I wouldn't suggest this. There is a world of difference between the capability of appropriate doses of intensity for that program between barbell and dumbell.