7 Mistakes to Avoid on Long Runs

Options
CakeFit21
CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
I get articles from active.com and thought this was really interesting. I know many of you are bumping up mileage getting ready for your fall races.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/7-Mistakes-to-Avoid-on-Your-Long-Runs.htm?cmp=291&memberid=115457507&lyrisid=22960567

Replies

• tmccutcheon
    tmccutcheon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article, I think I have made all of them, especially starting too fast. I have never run negative splits.
  • mledespot
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Great article! Thanks!
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Will keep this in mind for my 10k training:smile:
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Great article, thanks for posting!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article, I think I have made all of them, especially starting too fast. I have never run negative splits.

Neg splits are great! You need confidence in your training and discipline to hold back at the start so you can drop the hammer at the end.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    A very good article, thanks!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Though I am still only on the 5k level it was still good to read :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The biggest mistake I make when running (and I still do it even after almost 40 years) is keeping the pace low on your endurance runs. I tend to start out that way and then if I am feeling good, pound the last 50%-75% to achieve some type of performance record. 50%--55% effort is plenty.

You don't have to do tons of long runs and you still have to include interval and tempo training, but I have learned (and verified via metabolic testing) that it's important to "keep the hot side hot and the cold side cold".
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Number 7 is right where I am right now, losing a week due to my foot, but I'm not worried. I know I can do the distance and I'll let things heal.

Negative splits are awesome and a great way to train! I am always faster in the second half of a race. I love to kick it up at the end, as I weave in and out of people and finish strong. Always save your energy.

I keep my pace with my Garmin. Sometimes when I go by feel on my training runs, I run too fast because I feel really good that day. I have to force myself to slow down. During a race, I'll use the virtual partner on my watch to stick to my goal. I highly recommend a Garmin if you are an avid runner.

Thanks for the post!
  • MyPerfect10
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting! I have my first race in 3.5 weeks and definitely need to avoid these mistakes!
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Good article! Thank you for sharing