Sweating?

Options
No, not sweating from exercising but sweating from just "sitting there" esp under my arms. I feel so yucky! Could it be from being over weight, or something? Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Cuuuhsandra
    Options
    Yep, all the time. It's because I'm overweight, and when my skin sticks together I sweat :/
  • dorioreo
    Options
    Aww, don't you hate it :( I feel so embarrassed like people stare at it.
  • mapinkerton
    Options
    I have been a heavy sweater all my life. I got it from my dad. BUT when I was heavier I sweated more easily and a lot more. If it is relatively new, you should consult your doctor. There could be an underlying reason.

Good Luck!

Mary
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Weight does play a part, but also genetics and your body! I used to have a bad problem with that and my doc gave me meds. :)
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    Prescription strength deo!! I use it myself for fear of pitting...LoL! I am serious. You put it on at night, like before you go to bed, then the following day you are sweat FREE!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Genetics plays a factor. I had that problem until my doctor prescribed me drysol. It's applied just like deodorant but a few times a week. It's really cheap, too, even by prescription. But it works. I highly recommend it. I always had an under arm sweating problem, ever since high school, so it wasn't because of weight. My grandmother had the same issue.
  • jalmond27
    Options
    I sweat if I get in the wrong light...sun, moon, star, bulbs and even night lights!
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I sweat if I get in the wrong light...sun, moon, star, bulbs and even night lights!

LoL....So are you saying that no matter what, you sweat?? LoL
  • dorioreo
    Options
    I will try it out, you can get it from any store? (walmart, target?)
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It's not just because you're overweight. I used to think that only overweight people had this problem, but when I started doing some research about the metabolism, I realized that sweating and having higher body temperature are both signs (or side effects depending upon how you look at it) of having a working metabolism in working condition.

When I started losing weight and reached a plateau I stopped sweating so much and i thought it was because I was thinner. But then I realized my metabolism had slowed down and my body temperature lowered (to 96 degrees!). Of course that's why I wasn't sweating! So I started eating more, I started realizing how hot it was outside and sweat my butt off - and the pounds came off too :)

I double checked my theory with my best friend - who has always had a fast metabolism and burns up calories like a fire burns gasoline (I hate her sometimes). I always knew she hated when it was hot, more than the normal person - but when I told her about this she said, "yeah, I always sweat like a pig."

So for losing weight, sweating is GOOD thing, and you should start to worry when that stops. I am still on my weight loss journey but I now have a healthy BMI. Today I was giving a piano lesson in a house with no air conditioning and when I left my shirt was drenched - I was never happier to have those sweat stains :)

People who are bigger naturally have a higher metabolism - but who doesn't want that when you're trying to lose weight? It might not be pretty, but it's all in how you look at things. Good luck - and fall is right around the corner ;)
  • dorioreo
    Options
    I don't think anyone does it but me! I don't know about my grandparents because I never met them, but I will DEF be asking about this at my next appointment
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Could it be hormonal? I'm prone to sweating for no obvious reason for a couple days during my peroid. Apparently your body temperature rises during this time.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Qarol
    Options
    I will try it out, you can get it from any store? (walmart, target?)
    I have never, ever found anything strong enough from a store. Sorry. You have to get a prescription if your sweating is as bad as mine was. I got Drysol back in 2003 and never looked back. Ask your doctor about it. I have to make an annual appointment with my doctor for a refill, but it's hella worth it.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I sweat all the darn time. Mainly from my forehead and back, so antiperspirants don't help.
  • Qarol
    Options
    I sweat all the darn time. Mainly from my forehead and back, so antiperspirants don't help.
    When I first went to my doctor about my under arm sweating, she asked if it was a problem anywhere else. Since it wasn't, this topical treatment was best for me. But she did say she'd seen people who have the problem all over, and that there is a prescription pill to help. So just a thought...you could ask your doctor about it.
  • dorioreo
    Options
    Okay thank you!! I will make a appointment asap!
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My thyroid levels should be high so of I'm not sweating I know something is wrong. I just spray myself a lot when I am leaving the house and way super good at night. I tend to get pimples on my back from it but I shrug at that not like anyone butt soon to be hubby sees them. I had no idea about metabolism causing it though
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    It's not just because you're overweight. I used to think that only overweight people had this problem, but when I started doing some research about the metabolism, I realized that sweating and having higher body temperature are both signs (or side effects depending upon how you look at it) of having a working metabolism in working condition.

When I started losing weight and reached a plateau I stopped sweating so much and i thought it was because I was thinner. But then I realized my metabolism had slowed down and my body temperature lowered (to 96 degrees!). Of course that's why I wasn't sweating! So I started eating more, I started realizing how hot it was outside and sweat my butt off - and the pounds came off too :)

I double checked my theory with my best friend - who has always had a fast metabolism and burns up calories like a fire burns gasoline (I hate her sometimes). I always knew she hated when it was hot, more than the normal person - but when I told her about this she said, "yeah, I always sweat like a pig."

So for losing weight, sweating is GOOD thing, and you should start to worry when that stops. I am still on my weight loss journey but I now have a healthy BMI. Today I was giving a piano lesson in a house with no air conditioning and when I left my shirt was drenched - I was never happier to have those sweat stains :)

People who are bigger naturally have a higher metabolism - but who doesn't want that when you're trying to lose weight? It might not be pretty, but it's all in how you look at things. Good luck - and fall is right around the corner ;)

I hardly ever sweat. Maybe I should be concerned then?? Idk....I've always been this way. No matter how hard I work at something, I won't really break a sweat. If I do, it isn't very much at all.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    When i was 124 pounds i would wake drenched in sweat :frown:

Now that I am 100 pounds the sweating completely stopped! :smile:

So I think when you lose weight it will stop! Great news, right? :flowerforyou:

ps: I had my thyroid checked last semester and it was perfectly A-ok. I felt tired all the time, depressed etc...losing weight also helped cure this, and with every pound I lose I feel more energetic and happier >_<
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    When I first went to my doctor about my under arm sweating, she asked if it was a problem anywhere else. Since it wasn't, this topical treatment was best for me. But she did say she'd seen people who have the problem all over, and that there is a prescription pill to help. So just a thought...you could ask your doctor about it.
    Hey, thanks. I have an appointment coming up for my many complaints.