Streatching before workout

Options
What types of streatches are good? Like before the elliptical or treadmill, and before strength training like lifting and stuff?

Replies

• mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You want to do ballistic stretches that warm up the muscles. Things like knee lifts, calf raises, etc.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Generally, do the same motion you'll be doing in the exercise, just easier/lighter. I recommend taking a moment to Google stretching pre/post workout. It's quite a hotly debated subject.
  • kfriedm1
    kfriedm1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do a light warm-up on a piece of cardio equipment of your choice for 5-10 minutes. Be sure to work your arms and legs to get the blood pumping. Do not do ballistic stretches because you can injury yourself if your muscles are "cold".
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I have been reading up on this, what I got from my reading is that stretching is not as important before your workout as it is after your workout. Before you should warm up your muscles, jumping jacks, burpees, or whatever your body can handle. Then loads of stretching afterwards. A great example was if you put taffy in the fridge and pull it out cold and try to stretch it what would happen? It would snap! ON the other hand if you warm it up a little and then stretch it, it is loose and easily malleable. Since i started doing this I am much less sore. After a workout I do lots of stretching though.
  • emptysh0ebox
    Options
    I have been reading up on this, what I got from my reading is that stretching is not as important before your workout as it is after your workout. Before you should warm up your muscles, jumping jacks, burpees, or whatever your body can handle. Then loads of stretching afterwards. A great example was if you put taffy in the fridge and pull it out cold and try to stretch it what would happen? It would snap! ON the other hand if you warm it up a little and then stretch it, it is loose and easily malleable. Since i started doing this I am much less sore. After a workout I do lots of stretching though.

thanks! sounds good

and thanks everyone else