Diabetic Type 2 and high blood pressure

Options
2»

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    banshee925 wrote: »
    Don’t eat food you don’t like and citrus fruits and bananas are high in natural sugars, try berries and nuts instead

They also contain fiber, electrolytes and phytonutrients. They would certainly be a better option than candy, cookies and juice when trying to improve blood sugar.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    banshee925 wrote: »
    Don’t eat food you don’t like and citrus fruits and bananas are high in natural sugars, try berries and nuts instead

They also contain fiber, electrolytes and phytonutrients. They would certainly be a better option than candy, cookies and juice when trying to improve blood sugar.

High sugar fruit is better than candy, juice and baked goods but that doesn't make them a good choice in this instance, just less bad. That she doesn't even like grapefruit makes them a terrible choice. OTOH, berries and nuts are good choices--that she might actually like them makes them even better.
  • tanyanelson922
    tanyanelson922 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit I have read bring down high blood sugar and high blood pressure naturally. Very good fruit. Maybe we read from different places. That is why if you eat grapefruit and are on medicine could overdose.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @tanyanelson922, please don't eat grapefruit if you're taking any medications that say not to eat grapefruit. 💕
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit I have read bring down high blood sugar and high blood pressure naturally. Very good fruit. Maybe we read from different places. That is why if you eat grapefruit and are on medicine could overdose.

There is not one special food you can eat that is going to help you. Anything you're reading or hearing to the contrary is not a good source of information. What's most important right now, today is what you don't eat--don't eat too many calories and don't eat more carbohydrate than you can tolerate.

Increasing your activity and losing weight are the big picture goals you want to be striving for. Best wishes.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I was type 2 diabetic but just really borderline. I started eating better and walking and am now off all meds for sugar and my readings are normal and have been for a couple of years. I dropped 108 pounds originally but have gained back about 14 in three years so I'm working to get that back off. Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to take on too much in the beginning. Nothing wrong with the gym if you like it but if you hate it you won't be likely to stick to it. That was my experience anyway. I finally decided to find something I enjoyed. For me that was walking. Some folks like to swim some like to walk and some have other sports they enjoy. Find something you enjoy and start slowly so you don't give up.

As for what to eat the RD will be helpful there. For me it was again finding things I liked that were better choices. I had to try some things that were different and the ones that I liked became part of my routine. For example I love spiralized zucchini instead of spaghetti. Staying away from desserts and candy was essential as every time I eat them I seem to find it hard to control. I am fuller on higher vegetable meals (more fiber) and more substantial protein intake. Everyone is different but that's what works for me.

Good luck my friend it sounds like you have a great attitude and good motivation.