Question about dietitian

Options
Ok my normal dietitian has gone on vacation. So I had to see her intern today. She suggested I cut my calories even more then I have. Some context I am a 6.4 man I am big bone and weigh 372 pounds. Right now I am staying on a 2000 calorie a day and losing 4 to 6 pounds a week. She suggested I start only eating 1,500 calories a day now some days I am at 1,500 if I'm full but I would think this would be to drastic considering the pace of my weight loss is at now. What do you all think.

Replies

• airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No she didn't. My sedentary bmr for 2 pounds a week is 2249 and I average 5 to 8 thousand steps a day
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Ok my normal dietitian has gone on vacation. So I had to see her intern today. She suggested I cut my calories even more then I have. Some context I am a 6.4 man I am big bone and weigh 372 pounds. Right now I am staying on a 2000 calorie a day and losing 4 to 6 pounds a week. She suggested I start only eating 1,500 calories a day now some days I am at 1,500 if I'm full but I would think this would be to drastic considering the pace of my weight loss is at now. What do you all think.

If you are staying at mostly 2000 calories per day how are you creating an extra 1000 per day calorie deficit on your 6 pound weeks?

What are you getting at? It sounds as though you're asking the OP to account for the non-linear nature of weight loss, but I know you know better than that, so clearly I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

If you are staying at mostly 2000 calories per day how are you creating an extra 1000 per day calorie deficit on your 6 pound weeks?

What are you getting at? It sounds as though you're asking the OP to account for the non-linear nature of weight loss, but I know you know better than that, so clearly I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make.

I do not make a point with questions. I will sometimes ask them to help the OP arrive back at the correct answer. Also, if you bothered to read the VERY next question you will see I asked for the average.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    With a lot of weight to lose I would say sustainability should be at the forefront of your mind - if you evaluate any suggested changes against the criteria of making sustainability/adherence more or less difficult I think you would probably reject the suggestion of dropping your calorie goal.

I'm not really seeing why the intern would suggest an even faster rate of loss unless they believed you have an overriding medical imperative to lose weight at the fastest rate possible.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    With a lot of weight to lose I would say sustainability should be at the forefront of your mind - if you evaluate any suggested changes against the criteria of making sustainability/adherence more or less difficult I think you would probably reject the suggestion of dropping your calorie goal.

I'm not really seeing why the intern would suggest an even faster rate of loss unless they believed you have an overriding medical imperative to lose weight at the fastest rate possible.

Q.F.T.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I don’t have the references at my fingertips, but there have been a couple of studies in recent months that have raised questions about the whole “sustainability” issue. In these studies, not only did the lower-calorie (like under 1000 calories a day) initially lose more weight, but they kept it off better and longer as well.

It kind of flies in the face of our conventional wisdom and seems so counter-intuitive, that I am having little trouble getting my head around it as well. As with all research, it is not definitive and doesn’t address all the issues, but it has certainly made me more cautious in my advice and it may explain some of the RD intern’s reasoning. (Although I still go back to —if OP is losing 4-6 lbs per week, why the need to speed that up?).

• airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ty all for the help
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

I don’t have the references at my fingertips, but there have been a couple of studies in recent months that have raised questions about the whole “sustainability” issue. In these studies, not only did the lower-calorie (like under 1000 calories a day) initially lose more weight, but they kept it off better and longer as well.

It kind of flies in the face of our conventional wisdom and seems so counter-intuitive, that I am having little trouble getting my head around it as well. As with all research, it is not definitive and doesn’t address all the issues, but it has certainly made me more cautious in my advice and it may explain some of the RD intern’s reasoning. (Although I still go back to —if OP is losing 4-6 lbs per week, why the need to speed that up?).

I've seen some of the same and would surmise that there is an element of high motivation plus the reward of dramatic change reinforcing that motivation week on week. "I can stick with this hardship because I'm seeing results" perhaps?

A bit like project work - most people can achieve high motivation for a short time seeing the end goal coming tangibly closer but not everyone can chip away at a very long duration project when the ultimate goal is far in the future.

What is less clear is the drop out rate of different approaches. (Like many long term overweight people I failed many times before I succeeded.)

But like you when a very rapid weight loss is already being achieved for the OP I'm just not seeing the driver to change things. New broom syndrome?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I would disagree with those who are telling @airforceman1978 to totally ignore the intern's advice. I believe he should ask about, understand the reasoning and ask if the regular dietitian is in agreement. Probably more likely than the intern going rogue and dropping his calories, was the regular dietitian reviewed and discussed his case with the intern and directed the intern to put him on 1500 calories a day in her absence.

Unfortunately the poster is currently morbidly obese (although congrats on making the steps to turn his life around and progress so far) which can be a different ballgame than losing a few pounds and we don't know if there are any other immediate health issues being addressed.