TDEE. net or MFP for calories deficit?

Options
I'm a 38yr old female.
Height 154cm
CW 88kg
GW63-69kg (I know it's higher than recommended but I was happy at 63 - 67kg)

Calories per MFP is 1200 per day and calories per TDEE is 1350.

I went with MFP and lost 0.3kg a week for roughly 2 months with minimal cm loss and now it's just stopped. No weight loss or cm loss for the last 3 weeks despite continuing my 1200cal (o know because I've been eating the exact same meals) and walking 1hr a day - I've increased the speed weekly and vary the incline.

Some people have told me to continue to lower my calories in order to lose but I'm already on 1200cal - dropping lower than this is not an option.

A few years ago I was on MFP and eating around 1400 Cal with no exercise and I lost 1.2kg a week over 5 months - surely eating less and exercising more would get me better results? I don't understand it.

Can anyone assist me here with cals I should be eating? Do I need to break my diet and eat more cals (1350 or so) and slowly lower it as I lose?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Does someone have the flow chart?
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I just ran you #'s through TDEEcalculator.net, which a lot of us use & seems to be accurate. It says your TDEE - if Sedentary - is 1996 per day. I don't know where the 1350 is coming from, but the reason I went to tdeecalculator.net is that 1350 seems highly unlikely, and it turns out that's way off. I'd suggest that step 1 would be to make a trip to TDEEcalculator.net and put in your #s. Knowing what your TDEE is is a good place to start.

You should definitely be losing weight on 1200 calories and moderate exercise. You might just be in a plateau - 3 weeks is not a lot of time. You might need a week off from all this - I'm not a huge fan of the "refeed" reset the metabolism thing (actually I don't believe in it at all) but maybe that's what you need right now.

But first things first - go find out your TDEE so that you're not thinking you're eating 150 calories under maintenance while eating 1200 cals, because there's no way that's true.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Flow chart!

tgri2a1w7ayn.jpg
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I just ran you #'s through TDEEcalculator.net, which a lot of us use & seems to be accurate. It says your TDEE - if Sedentary - is 1996 per day. I don't know where the 1350 is coming from, but the reason I went to tdeecalculator.net is that 1350 seems highly unlikely, and it turns out that's way off. I'd suggest that step 1 would be to make a trip to TDEEcalculator.net and put in your #s. Knowing what your TDEE is is a good place to start.

You should definitely be losing weight on 1200 calories and moderate exercise. You might just be in a plateau - 3 weeks is not a lot of time. You might need a week off from all this - I'm not a huge fan of the "refeed" reset the metabolism thing (actually I don't believe in it at all) but maybe that's what you need right now.

But first things first - go find out your TDEE so that you're not thinking you're eating 150 calories under maintenance while eating 1200 cals, because there's no way that's true.

I had it at 1782 through TDEEcalculator.net , 1996 is if you left it as male. I also imagine the 1350 is OP's calorie goal for weight loss via a TDEE calculator not what she believes to be her TDEE itself.

• shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I didn't add that I have hashimoto's thyroiditis which is an autoimmune disease (antibodies attack the thyroid making it inactive and causes it to die) so this does make losing weight extremely difficult and someone suggested I just go with the aggressive 1200cal for weight loss because of it. My doc recommended a 1400cal diet but I thought it was way too high. According to TDEE the 1350 cal is my "cutting" caloric goal, the higher calories is for maintenence. I'm just wondering if because of my hashimoto's and high body fat percentage I should be eating at a bigger deficit (1200cal). The only way I can test it is to do a week or two at 1350 and see if there is any loss,if not then the will have to drop it by 50cal every few weeks and find the sweet spot.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on here have Hashimoto's, I do, and we've lost weight just fine as long as it's properly medicated. If you search the community posts for Hashimoto's you'll find a lot of conversation.