working out - upper vs lower body

I was told that exercising legs will increase metabolism more than working out upper body because lower body has larger muscles. It this true?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Who told you this?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Don't believe everything you hear. Could it be *technically* true? Possibly, in the sense that maybe working out your legs burns a coue of more calories. I don't actually know if that is true or not, but sure it's possible. But you are talking about a completely insignificant number. Lots of things burn a small amount of calories. Twiddling your thumbs for a couple of minutes burns a few calories. But in the long run, micro things like this aren't important.

It's good to workout both your upper and lower body, so that develop your muscles across your body. You don't want to be strong one place and week in others. Focus on that, rather than what "they" say.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Every pound of muscle burns slightly more calories at rest than a pound of fat. Key word slightly. Gain 20 pounds of muscle - a huge achievement - and you'll get an extra Oreo per day. Just one.

You should do a full body workout, StrongLifts 5x5 is a good place to start.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Wouldn't working out BOTH burn more calories than only working out one?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Wouldn't working out BOTH burn more calories than only working out one?

mf1tm2n0a3cm.png
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Could be. I focus mostly on lower body, 4x per week. Working out and growing the largest muscle in the body... I don't know if it's really significant, I've heard it's not, but whatever the reason I'm not complaining about my calorie intake. :)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Upper vs lower? Why one or the other? What are your goals?

Strength/resistance training is not the calorie busting stuff you might be imagining...

I programme for both. I train 6 days per week in the off season.