PCOS

Any ladies out there that have any tips on weight loss that have been diagnosed with PCOS?

I am working on a low carb diet. How many do you restrict yourselves to? Are there other things that I should be paying attention to other than low carbs and fats?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    PCOS or no PCOS, a calorie deficit is what weight loss is all about. My wife has pretty severe PCOS, and has lost almost 25 pounds without restricting carbs (she's tried at times, but hadn't found it sustainable for herself). She doesn't even count calories. She just "eats better and exercises" and naturally gets herself there. But a calorie deficit is ultimately what it is all about.

How you tried setting up your stats in MFP, selecting a reasonable rate of loss, and then eating the amount of calories MFP tells you for 4-6 weeks and going from there? You may be surprised that it works for you just like it can work for anyone else. Low carb can sometimes help control symptoms with PCOS, and cna be beneficial in that way, but for weight loss, it is still all calories in vs calories out.

• ssimmons1086
    ssimmons1086 Posts: 8 Member
    Right!! The problem with PCOS and carbs is the insulin resistance. That’s why you are supposed to limit your carbs. I agree with you that caloric intake/outtake is just as important. I do watch that as well as far as limiting myself with carbs and try to create 1000 calorie deficit to try to lose. I think overall, the numbers mesh together.. meaning, the healthier the food the lower the simple carbs and lower the calories.

Maybe you’re right, making an easy problem too difficult. Eat right and exercise.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Everyone is different but if you look up PCOS diets most of them are lower in carbs for a reason. You’re right it is an insulin thing, so even if you’re not ready to give up carbs I’d definitely recommend ditching the refined carbs/sugars and generally keeping to a diet full of foods lower on the glycemic index. You may find following a diabetic diet works too -just being more mindful about carb portions (eg only eat half a bagel instead of a full one) and pairing carbs with protein etc. And if you have refined sugar or higher carbs take a walk after (I had gestational diabetes and had to test my blood after every meal and the couple of times I splurged and had junk, walking for 30ish min after kept my blood sugar low)

I have a friend on here who had to go full keto (supervised by a doctor and regularly testing ketone levels) to finally lose weight with her PCOS and know others who can just moderate and exercise. You might have to try a few things before you find what works for you.
  • brittbytes
    brittbytes Posts: 1 Member
    I was just diagnosed with PCOS this summer and though I just started watching my calories through this app, I am losing just by having a caloric deficit and aiming to have a lower carb intake :)
  • kristinsnm
    kristinsnm Posts: 67 Member
    I too have PCOS and insulin resistance and in a nutshell, it's hard. Period. Yes carbs make a huge difference, but so do a whole myriad of other things..... and unfortunately it's not really a one size fits all solution. I've done naturopathy, holistic wellness, metabolic programs, registered dietitians and simply trying to "eat well" and each has it's benefits, it's opinions and it's shelf life (at least for me..... meaning I haven't yet found something I'm comfortable sticking with, that continuously works for me, long term). I've been told to remove dairy, animal products, focus on gut health and absorption of nutrients. I've been told to avoid soy products, pseudo estrogen producing products as well as processed foods of any kind. I've been recommended a low GI index diet, an alkaline diet as well as a supplemented vegan diet. I've been given pills, liquids, and castor oil regimens. I've been told to eat small meals throughout the day but also been told 3 larger meals are better. I've been told to carb cycle and also to implement intermittent fasting. LOL .... I've been told so much that it all seems credible at the time but comparatively irrelevant in the broader sense.

All in all, I think it's searching for what works for you! Trial and error..... if carbs are where you feel comfortable starting, than try implementing slow release carbs as your carb options.... or try limiting your carbs to earlier in the day.... start somewhere and see how your body reacts. Then try to build on that. Do your own research....and if you can find a pro that you feel comfortable with, that's awesome, use them as a tool, a resource.

Good luck!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I have, or perhaps had--it's hard to tell at this point--PCOS. I lost 100 pounds and have maintained in my optimal BMI range for going on 3 years now. I was able to stop my metformin, as well as medication for high cholesterol, and high triglycerides, after the first 50 pounds. For the past 4 or 5 years, I have not needed any prescriptions (unless you count my IUD).

A calorie deficit is what causes fat loss for all people. Carbs do not have anything to do with fat loss unless your carb consumption puts you out of a calorie deficit or makes it difficult for you to stick to your deficit long term. Some people with PCOS may see an improvement in symptoms on a low carb diet, and some may not, but a low carb diet is absolutely not required for fat loss.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    I have PCOS on my medical file, but it's the least of my worries. That said, I DO end up insulin resistant above a certain weight threshold. I lose weight just fine with carbs, but refined carbs give me a headache nearly instantly when I'm too heavy and insulin resistant.

I've found that IF eating patterns help with the insulin resistance, but being leaner helps a lot more, and avoiding Depo shots like the plague helps the MOST.

Experiment a little and figure out what helps you FEEL good enough in your deficit to maintain it, and realize that the CALORIE DEFICIT is what is helping with fat loss. How you choose to create that deficit is totally up to you and what your body will accommodate without making you too miserable to maintain it for long enough to be effective.