Scared of gaining weight

Im a few pounds underweight and I need to gain weight. However I worry that the increase in weight is mostly going to be fat, not muscle.

Anybody know how to face that fear and workout hard to gain muscle? I know nutrition is very important to this.

Replies

  • nkzard
    nkzard Posts: 19 Member
    I was scared at first when I started years ago, but you just have to do it. Do your research, make sure you are doing a physique NOT strength based program and train hard. Eat right and you will put on more muscle than fat. Good luck, trust it and you will be fine.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 793 Member
    nkzard wrote: »
    I was scared at first when I started years ago, but you just have to do it. Do your research, make sure you are doing a physique NOT strength based program and train hard. Eat right and you will put on more muscle than fat. Good luck, trust it and you will be fine.

    Suggestions? I can’t tell which are physique vs strength in the lifting thread.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,819 Member
    If you are underweight, some fat won't be the worst thing in the world. If you lift weights, and eat at a moderate surplus, it should be mostly muscle. But you cna always do a cut once you are safely into normal weight if you want to trim a bit of fat. Right now, I'd worry mostly on gaining the weight.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    If the anxiety gets bad or you think you might have a slightly disordered relationship with food (don't know anything about your eating habits, so just saying on the off chance), you might want to look into a brief round of therapy if that's within your abilities. I found it really useful when I had a bad spell with fear of food/gaining weight in 2018. But lots of good advice here already! A moderate surplus means you might gain a bit of fat, but if you're lifting you'll gain muscle too. And recomp is a great choice too once you're at a healthier weight. Best of luck!
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Recomp! Trying it out myself...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,826 Member
    allother94 wrote: »
    Recomp! Trying it out myself...

    The thing is OP is underweight and not trying to maintain at this point
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    allother94 wrote: »
    Recomp! Trying it out myself...

    The thing is OP is underweight and not trying to maintain at this point

    Oh
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Eat until you hit your weight and then recomp! If you gain fat at the start, you will convert to muscle later.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,467 Member
    Are you lifting? When I started lifting, I was afraid of gaining, but it increased my appetite. I would eat a poptart before lifting early morning, then coffee with protein, quest bar for snack. That's the only combo I found to get me to lunch. I did gain, slowly, but have had so many compliments on the way I look that I try to embrace the gain and stick with it.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    allother94 wrote: »
    Eat until you hit your weight and then recomp! If you gain fat at the start, you will convert to muscle later.

    Don’t worry about all those that disagree with my above comment. Just trust me and do it!