No thyroid weight loss

Options
I had my thyroid removed at fifteen. Now, 5 kids later and 15 years of calorie counting and working out, I’m tired. I’m overweight. I want to have a friend who knows what it’s like to live without a thyroid. Unless you’re living this way, you can’t possibly understand what it’s like, especially with small children. I could use a friend with similar problems to encourage me and vice versa. My goal is to lose 50 lbs, 10 pounds per kid haha but I need some encouragement.

Replies

• bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    As a medical family, taking thyroid hormone replaces what is lost by having your thyroid removed. Millions take thyroid medication and do quite well. Issues take place when patients fail to take their prescribed thyroid hormone. My mother lives without a thyroid. This is why she takes prescription thyroid and does quite well. Removal of thyroids are quite common. This is what thyroid hormone prescriptions are for.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your blood work done regularly to make sure your thyroid replacement is appropriately titrated? Definitely start with your doctor and work on creating good, steady, habits with your medication timing and compliance, then work into steady habits of logging your food and eating appropriately. The more steady you can keep your habits, the easier it becomes to identify trends and see what is working for you and what is not.
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have low thyroid. I’m on thyroid medication. I get a blood test once a year to make sure my thyroid level remains in the normal range. I am glad I am on this medication because without it my hair was thinning out, was always tired, and was always trying to lose weight. My doctor said that with out thyroid medication, trying to lose weight is virtually impossible. I am now at a normal weight but I work at it. This fitness app that monitors my food intake every day is the way to go for me.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management/p1

I didn't cut out anything and implemented a modest caloric deficit and lost 60 lbs the first year with MFP and have been in maintenance for the last 5 years.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Check out this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management/p1

I didn't cut out anything and implemented a modest caloric deficit and lost 60 lbs the first year with MFP and have been in maintenance for the last 5 years.

Endorsed. That link is an excellent, detailed post by someone who not only had his thyroid removed, but who is also an actual researcher/expert on the condition. It has guidance about what us hypothyroid folks should do. In brief, it's gold: Read it, believe it.

;) at @CSARdiver