Sweating?

Options
Does sweating a lot equal burning more calories than if not sweating so much?

(Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but I'm sitting here dripping and hoping it means I burned more :laugh: )

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    probably not but I wanna see the responses because I am drenched too! lol
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    there is no real correlation.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I never sweat during a workout, at all, unless it's hot. It has nothing to do with how hard I work out AT ALL, simply the temperature.

Not working out and 109F outside = I'm drenched.
    In the gym, working my butt off, in the 72F air conditioned building = no sweat, at all.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I read an article recently about sweating while working out... it said it's not an indication as to the caloric burn, BUT it is an indication that your body is working and functioning at full capacity. Sweating is a defense mechanism against overheating, and when our body is properly nourished, it works better. People who are dehydrated don't sweat as profusely because their bodies can't spare the water. People who don't get enough salt have less salty sweat. People who get a little too much salt, perhaps, have such salty sweat that it dries on them (I'm guilty of this on Sundays after a splurge day) and you can literally salt your food with it. lol

Anyway-I read that it has to do with a properly functioning body as opposed to caloric burn. Makes sense. When I first started at the gym, I almost never sweated. Now I get absolutely drenched by the end of my workouts (and it usually starts about seven minutes into it).
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    something I noticed:

I run outside for 30 minutes in the 100+F weather of Arizona, then when I get home to my 79F house and fill up my water bottle in the kitchen, that is when I start pouring the sweat. I am not sweaty at all during the run.

But yep, like Taso42 said, no real correlation between how much to sweat and how much you are working :)
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i did a brief google search and found that there is no correlation between sweating and burning calories. point: you can sweat in a steam room/sauna and not burn any calories (as mentioned above, being outdoors in 109 heat but not working-out)

sweating is our body's way of cooling us; if you work-out in a cool environment, your sweat will evaporate sooner and you won't notice it as much. sweating does release toxins and some people feel much better after a good sweat, but do not burn more calories than someone who does not sweat. i sweat alot more than my husband does, i think it just depends on the person. also, keep in mind that if you work-out in a room that is too warm and sweat too much, you might lose alot of water (and thus weight) even though you aren't burning more calories.

HTH
  • Jc_1324
    Options
    i may be wrong but i believe there is no direct correlation in sweating and burning calories, since alot of people can sweat just sitting outside.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    There is no correlation between sweating and burning calories. Everyone is different and every workout is different Some days I can work out (in the gym, in the same type of clothes, doing the same exercises) and not sweat much while other days I sweat a ton.
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Maybe not burning calories, but there IS correlation between sweating and increased metabolism. I know when my metabolism slowed down - no sweating. Now it's working really well - sweat like a pig.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/sweating-why-its-good-for-you.html
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I sweat more, the more water I drink. Check out my profile pics. There's a pic of my tshirt after p90, and then after the tread and bike.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Maybe not burning calories, but there IS correlation between sweating and increased metabolism. I know when my metabolism slowed down - no sweating. Now it's working really well - sweat like a pig.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/exercises/sweating-why-its-good-for-you.html

Interesting fact... pigs don't sweat. ;) Hence their love of mud baths.

I am looking and can't find the article I read. I wish I could. It was really good...
  • olivia3263
    Options

I am looking and can't find the article I read. I wish I could. It was really good...
  • olivia3263
    Options

Hahaha - come to think of it - I wouldn't want the metabolism of a pig :) Glad to know they don't sweat. How about, "sweat like a mushroom"?
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Wanted to debunk the sauna thing too... you do burn calories in the sauna. Or so says this article (I found while searching for the one I read a week or so ago...) http://www.tuberose.com/Sweating.html

This is not the same article, but it has good information on chronic dehydration and decreased sweat. http://www.tuberose.com/Sweating.html
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Sweating is just a way to cool your body down. You may lose water weight but it is temporary. You need to hydrate yourself again. I am not an expert but it is just what I have read and heard.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Hahaha - come to think of it - I wouldn't want the metabolism of a pig :) Glad to know they don't sweat. How about, "sweat like a mushroom"?

how about sweat like a toilet?! eww... but so true!