Need suggestions for chilling cookie dough quickly

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
edited December 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I'm making a slightly different version of Joanne Chang's Double Chocolate Cookies https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/double-chocolate-cookies - my cookbook says to chill 3-4 hours or overnight and the website says to chill 1.5 hours.

I want to finish chilling faster so I can proceed with baking and eating. I've got the bowl of batter inside a bigger bowl with ice water out on the porch, where it is 30 degrees. Thoughts on how long I should chill and how often I should stir?

FWIW, I didn't let the chocolate in the double boiler get any hotter than it absolutely needed to in order to melt.

Replies

• kshama2001
    Options
    Not relevant to chilling time, but these are no longer Double Chocolate Cookies - they are Sextuple Chocolate Cookies - normally I have bittersweet chocolate chips on hand but I was out. Rather than using semi-sweet, I raided the chocolate box and used a bunch of leftover chocolate:
    • However many Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips I dumped in and couldn't fish out after I decided to change directions.
    • 3 Ghirardelli 60% squares
    • 1 Ghirardelli Intense Chocolate with Cherry Tango square
    • 2 oz Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate bar Chili and Cinnamon
    • The remainder of the 9 bittersweet came from JoJos Chocolate Bark with dried cranberries and raw almonds
    • 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate. My recipe called for an additional 2 oz unsweetened, shaved, but since I didn't want to break open a bar I used more JoJos Chocolate Bark

Documenting this in case I ever want to replicate exactly :lol:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Obviously the cookies are already made, but in the future I would just put them in the freezer.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have a similar recipe, and I just put the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes, and then use a teaspoon to put a small dollop on the cookie sheet.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    It's obviously too late, but for future reference you can shape the dough to be more flat and wide rather than in a ball or large lump for it chill faster. For cookies that get rolled out and cut, I roll them to the correct size before putting them in the fridge. That way they only have to chill for 1 hour instead of 3-4.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thanks all! They were great :smiley:

The ice bath plus cold porch did the trick really well. There was about 30 minutes more chilling time between the first batch and the third and last, and there was no difference - they all spread the right amount.