A question for ladies who nursed

Options
Hi there,

I'm trying to lose my pregnancy weight. I'm currently nursing and though my mom said the pounds would 'melt' they sure haven't. That's fine, I think I'm probably just one of those women who hold onto a bit of fat until weaning. I've started back on the elliptical to get back into the swing of things. My question is this. The baby is two months old and my supply is not great. He's probably half breastmilk/half formula at this point. is it worth doing both at the same time or is too hard to gauge the caloric intake? I really missed exercising while pregnant and I honestly feel like nursing is sometimes a losing battle.

Replies

• jnettiedotson
    Options
    Sounds like you've already made up your mind. If it were me, I'd continue to nurse if I could, but being that you're already doing half and half your supply will probably completely disappear soon anyway.
  • akbethea
    akbethea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what your asking. "Is it too hard to do both?" Do you mean breast feed and formula or do you mean exercise and watch your calories? Not sure. Anyway, I think breast feeding is great for the baby if you can do it So many health bonuses for the baby. I'm thinking though, I don't think you want to cut your calories too much though. I believe that reduces your milk production which will then make nursing frustrating for you and the baby. I bet you could find some good information on your calorie intake when your nursing online.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I would keep nursing. It's so good for your baby's health, it's worth the "hassle". Be sure you are eating enough not to hinder production. Also, fenugreek helps stimulate milk production. You can get it at GNC. I used to take it all the time when I was travelling for work and still nursing my baby. You need to take 2-3 capsules 3 times a day to get things going, but it works....
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I could not lose weight while nursing. I also had to mix formula and milk. I did it until the last 2 babies were 6 months then I gave up.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm trying to lose my pregnancy weight. I'm currently nursing and though my mom said the pounds would 'melt' they sure haven't. That's fine, I think I'm probably just one of those women who hold onto a bit of fat until weaning. I've started back on the elliptical to get back into the swing of things. My question is this. The baby is two months old and my supply is not great. He's probably half breastmilk/half formula at this point. is it worth doing both at the same time or is too hard to gauge the caloric intake? I really missed exercising while pregnant and I honestly feel like nursing is sometimes a losing battle.

the most important thing here is your baby.
    but it is ultimately your decision to keep breastfeeding or not.
    i lost pretty much all my baby weight while breastfeeding.
    i also found that my supply started running out after two months or so, so i chose to stop.
    you can still exercise while nursing, i did. and i had a c-section
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? You need an additional 300-500 calories over what you are eating in order to sustain breastmilk. And sometimes people need more water. I have a 2 month old who is exclusively breastfed (my second) and I typically drink at minimum over 100 oz of water a day.

But as far as weight loss goes, it is true. Some people the weight melts away (it is for me this time), but others hold onto every bit until they wean their child.

There are some other things you can do to try to get your supply up if you want. If you have a breast pump you can pump after you have nursed. That will help stimulate your breasts to increase supply. You can also take an herb called Fenugreek or there is a product called Motherlove More Milk. And if that doesn't work you can call your OB and they can prescribe a medication that can help increase it as well. Or contact a local lactation consultant to help with some ideas as well.

But yeah, nursing can be such an emotional battle.
  • lailaplant
    Options
    Hi. I am still nursing and I would like to encourage to to do so. It is so good for your baby! I however haven't lost any weigh breastfeeding and I wouldn't keep nursing in hopes of loosing weight. I would do so because it is what is best for you and your baby. If you have any questions feel free to message me.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. Some women can't seem to lose weight again until they stop nursing, as their bodies are hanging on to the fat in order to produce milk. Also, keep in mind that there is no generic "burns 500 calories a day". It really depends on how much you're making. Each ounce of BM is about 20 calories, so assume it takes approximately that many calories "burned" to make it.

The first few months are the most crucial for BM benefits, so give yourself a pat on the back for nursing even for two months already. Some women decide not to nurse at all, and it's a tough learning curve for both you and baby.

If you want to keep nursing, then consider contacting a lactation consultant (there should be a La Leche League group in your area) to get some tips and advice on how to increase your output or efficiency.

Ultimately it's your choice--do what you need to do in order to feel as healthy and happy as you can with a new baby!
  • Angie789
    Angie789 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your body burns about 20 calories for each ounce of breast milk you make. A two month old should be drinking around 25 ounces of breast milk per day (give or take - every baby is different). If you do decide to keep nursing, be sure that you are eating enough calories to keep your supply up - it's the same idea of eating exercise calories back. I'm currently nursing, with over 50 pounds to lose and I am eating about 1900 calories a day, and I am still dropping weight very fast. I'm probably going to up calories to be sure my supply stays up.

It's a personal decision, but I do agree with other posters - the health benefits for both you & the baby are wonderful if you continue to breastfeed. I know it is tough at times, but in my opinion, it is worth it.
  • Amuggsy78
    Amuggsy78 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Take heart! I was in the same boat. Fortunately I was able to keep nursing until my daughter was 7 months, but by that time I was using formula, taking milk producing supplements, I used this little apparatus that held formula in a bag I wore around my neck with a tiny tube that I taped to my breast so my daughter could nurse from me at the same time she got formula.

Looking back I think I figured out my problem. I needed to drink lots more water, and stop thinking I know so much. Basically I assumed that if I just fed my daughter she couldn't possibly be hungry again so I gave her a passifier. If you really want to turn around your milk production, put your baby on your breast everytime he/she moves, blinks, makes a noise, anything. Let them decide if they want to eat or not. The more often you can produce a "let down" the more milk you will produce in general. Also you want to completely empty each breast, but the let down is important. Stress can cause this to be slow so when trying to feed your baby, relax, breathe deep, maybe put on relaxing music, close your eyes, and make sure you have a drink close by.

My sister was excellent at breast feeding and she would always have her pump on the other breast whenever her son was feeding. I think that helped her alot. If you try that you might find yourself having two let downs in one sitting.

Don't get hung up worrying about ounces. Breast milk is lighter but more nutritious. Formula makes a baby feel full but can also be difficult to digest.

Also I didn't get my body back until the third month, so give it a little more time before you decide it's not working.

If you decide it's just to stressful... Don't beat yourself up. That's why they invented formula. It gives a baby everything they need to be healthy. Breast milk is just a better package.

If you are interested in any of the breast feeding assistance methods I mentioned, let me know. They didn't necessarily work for me but they have worked for a lot of other women.

GOOD LUCK!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The pounds will "melt off" when your baby is needing more milk from you... about the sixth month, and then another huge spurt when he starts toddling around.

Seriously, isn't your baby's lifetime health and well-being a little more important than dropping a few pounds in x number of days?

Eat really nutritiously. Get your exercise. Get your rest. Forget the scale for awhile.
  • frabbit27
    Options
    I've never been able to do more than half and half. That's with fenugreek, pumping, and brewer's yeast. I typically pump an oz to an oz and a half. My lactation consultant even had the OB write a script for Reglan to boost supply, but it made me really, really sleepy.

When the baby was born, he lost a bit of birthweight and they threatened to readmit him if I didn't supplement with formula. Once that formula was introduced, everything went downhill. Believe me, I would love to exclusively breast feed. This is not an issue of me devoting time to it or anything like that, it was the one thing I wanted to do and had my heart set on, but I'm trying to be flexible and not get discouraged.

I never thought that I might not be eating enough, I haven't really felt hungry, but that's a very good point. Because this is so beneficial is the reason I have stuck with it for 2 months. I really wouldn't have put up with nursing and then pumping after every feeding for 2 months if there wasn't a darn good reason. lol.

Thanks for the input everyone, very helpful!
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    I am nursing now. This is the 4th baby I have nursed. I have had lots of problems nursing but always kept at it. ANY amount of breast milk your baby gets is terrific! You are doing great! Do you have a pump? If not and if you can afford it, get one. Beg barrow, steal. (LOL) You can hand express to get your supply up. Go to the nursery at your local hospital. They always have lactation consultants around and are more than happy to help. There is a medication called Reglin. (this is how it is pronounced, not sure how it's spelled). That stuff will get your milk goin! ohdoggy! Whenever I try to diet, I lose my milk. Course I'm also eating 1200 cals and only 30 grams of fat per day. That's not enough. So I'm trying this site. Is this your first baby? Be warned, they eat 24/7 LITERALLY. Let your baby eat all the time and try not to use formula. That may be why your milk supply is low.Take heart, sometimes it takes two months to get your supply doing well. And if you decide on formula, your still great! Learn how to feed baby while laying down so you can relax or sleep while nursing. There's not a whole lot worse than getting up three times a night to make a friggin bottle. lol.good luck, add me, and I'd be happy to help more. I have TONS of info to help you out. I think you're doing great. Just the fact you are trying is terrific. xoxo
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am nursing my third child & have spoken to his pediatrician, my OB, & researched this very thing. I have found that you need 1800-2500 calories a day while nursing (more if burning alot of calories). I put in breastfeeding each morning as a food on here & it deducts 500 calories automatically. From there, I customize my calorie goal into 1300-1800 (since the 500 is built in). I have been doing this for over a month (took me a month to research & play w the numbers to get the right amount) & I have lost about 10 pounds. Also, I think it's important to eat all of your exercise calories so that you burn the calories & not your lean muscle. I am no expert but this is totally working for me & I have never lost more than 20# post baby. My child is 3 months & I am down 29# since delivery!
    Try the fenugreek & get your supply going! The bond of nursing is irreplaceable & it is best for your infant! Best wishes & keep exercising! Play w ur diet, workouts, and calories - you will find what's best for you. You CAN do both - just be determined! :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    First, I would talk to a lactation consultant. The more you give him formula, the less milk you will make, and you will end up giving him more and more formula. If possible, nurse him first for as long as he will, and nurse often. A lot of women think they aren't supplying enough because baby wants to nurse every 2-3 hours, but that's normal for a breastfed 2 month old. If he's making at least 5-7 wet diapers, 1-2 poopy diapers daily and gaining weight, he's getting enough. But, like I said, a lactation consultant will be able to help you more. (I gave up nursing way to early with my first and spent a whole lot on formula; nursed #2 and #3 for the full year and was so happy with it. So I know where you're coming from). You may even be able to find referrals to nursing support groups.

As far as weight loss, not all women lose easily while nursing. As far as for tracking through MFP, I'd set it to lose 1/2 or 1 pound a week. Then add 300 calories more for each day (it would be 500 if you were only nursing, no bottles). I think there's something you can enter into your food log for the nursing so you don't have to do the extra math. 300 calories isn't a lot, really, so make sure it comes from good sources. But even then, some women's bodies just hang onto extra fat when they nurse, just in case. It might be slower going than you hoped, but resist the urge to drop calories too far! Make sure you drink plenty of water (this will help your milk production, too).

Added edit: You can definitely exercise while nursing. Just eat back most of your exercise calories. I always nursed right before a workout, and never had to pump and toss milk, although some women think that exercise sours milk. I don't believe that.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to do more than half and half. That's with fenugreek, pumping, and brewer's yeast. I typically pump an oz to an oz and a half. My lactation consultant even had the OB write a script for Reglan to boost supply, but it made me really, really sleepy.

When the baby was born, he lost a bit of birthweight and they threatened to readmit him if I didn't supplement with formula. Once that formula was introduced, everything went downhill. Believe me, I would love to exclusively breast feed. This is not an issue of me devoting time to it or anything like that, it was the one thing I wanted to do and had my heart set on, but I'm trying to be flexible and not get discouraged.

I never thought that I might not be eating enough, I haven't really felt hungry, but that's a very good point. Because this is so beneficial is the reason I have stuck with it for 2 months. I really wouldn't have put up with nursing and then pumping after every feeding for 2 months if there wasn't a darn good reason. lol.

Thanks for the input everyone, very helpful!

Just saw your post - been there this time around! My baby lost a whole pound his first month! No one could figure out why. I got on mfp while supplementing & was shocked by my low caloric intake. Once I upped them as I explained above, it was hello milk, hello growing baby, bye bye weight!
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Same here, I didn't really have much supply when I was nursing my daughter but I just my opinion, continue breast feeding her until you are really empty.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Please don't be discouraged that the pounds aren't melting off. Mine didn't either. That's only true for some women. I would encourage you to nurse as often as possible to try and increase your supply, offer the breast before those bottle feedings. Contact your local La Leche League if you haven't already. They can help! There's no rush to get those pounds off. The celebrities we see who are stick thin a month after giving birth are not the norm! It should take some time and that's OK. :)
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Keep nursing and you probably need to up your calories and water intake to increase your supply.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I went through this same thing. It was so stressful not producing enough. However I did take the fenugreek 3 pills 3 times a day until I smelled like maple syrup. Helped a lot with production but I still didn't lose any weight until I stopped nursing when he turned one about 4 months ago. I found that I needed more complex carbs for good output.