Breaking Snacking Habit

Options
As I start over again, I've come to realize that I have a very strong habit of snacking when I'm bored or procrastinating on whatever is around, and it's really holding my back. It's a very difficult habit to break. Does anyone have tips, tricks, or advice on the best way to break this habit?

Replies

• Nimbkar
    Nimbkar Posts: 67 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    It is funny that you mention that as I am the worst at it . My weakest time is after I get home from work .
    But recently I heard a lecture from an Indian doctor who is a proponent of just 2 meals a day: Lunch and dinner.
    The idea is kind of like intermittent fasting except instead of window of 8 hours of eating . He advocates to eat each meal within an hour. He suggests that if you crave something you can eat it but only during either lunch or dinner hour. Again this advice is just of people trying to loose weight and not people with other health conditions.

I have tried not to linger in the kitchen after coming home for work.
    so I am trying to break the pattern .

Frankly if I can do it anyone can.

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think you're halfway to success by identifying that you snack when you're bored or procrastinating.

The same problem gets me as well.

It's mind over matter - my mind knows choices matter. It's not easy, but, more often than not I am able to mindfully do something that matters more than feeding an emotional trigger.

good luck to you!
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    melrose155 wrote: »
    I've been doing 18:6 intermittent clean fasting for 3 weeks for this exact reason...mindless eating/snacking.

Interesting! I've never considered IF as a cure for mindless eating/snacking. In fact, I've always thought I would be a bad candidate for intermittent fasting because I'm one of those people who is thinking about food and snacking all the time. Doesn't having that habit make IF a lot harder?

• cianag
    cianag Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I also found that IF was a great way to break the snacking habit.
  • robingmurphy
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    snacking isn't bad.
    overeating snacks is bad
    seperate snacks into servings prior and then you get to snack without mindlessly overeating

I've tried to just plan snacks into my daily calories, but for me it seems like snacking is never enough. Whatever I plan, I find myself continuing to mindlessly eat past it. It's because I'm eating to address boredom and procrastination, not hunger or nutrition. For me, it's better to just cut them out ... if I can.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    melrose155 wrote: »
    I've been doing 18:6 intermittent clean fasting for 3 weeks for this exact reason...mindless eating/snacking.

Interesting! I've never considered IF as a cure for mindless eating/snacking. In fact, I've always thought I would be a bad candidate for intermittent fasting because I'm one of those people who is thinking about food and snacking all the time. Doesn't having that habit make IF a lot harder?

Not necessarily. It could be that it gives you a break. Consider a scenario where you are thinking about food but look at the clock and realize it is not an option yet. It may not help at first but it may help train you to take a mental break from the food thoughts.

In any event you could try it for a week or two as an experiment. The only way to really know if a solution works is to try and find out. Try to stick it out for at least 3 or 4 days but if it makes things worse then you will know it is a fail.

My suggestion: Try to force yourself into the habit of always pre-logging food you have not planned on eating. I find that this increases accountability and awareness. Bad habits tend to live in blind spots so shining a light there helps. The more you see what the impact will be the more mental ammunition you will have to stay disciplined.

My suggestion is also put out there as a possibility for experimentation. Different people respond to different things so mine may not work either.
  • Nimbkar
    Options
    until you break the habit of snacking between meals , you can drink tea , coffee, 1/2 apple, tomato, or coconut water instead of snacks and see if that helps.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don’t mindlessly snack, because I find it works really well to plan snacks into my day. I know I will need something in the afternoon so I can last til my late dinner, so I put that snack in my bag and record it in my diary in the morning. Then I eat the snack between 2 and 3 pm.
  • robingmurphy
    Options
    You guys are awesome! These are such great suggestions. I'm going to bookmark this thread and come back and re-read it. In thinking more about my eating pattern, I notice that I try to stick with breakfast-lunch-dinner and no snacks because I like to have a substantial meal when I eat, and that allows me to eat 400-600-700 calories and still hit my target. Although I might find myself mindlessly snacking out of boredom or procrastination at any time, I'd say 80% of the time it happens between noon and 5pm. So, combining some ideas above, maybe I should switch to an IF pattern of eating 600 calories at noon, 400 at 3pm, and 700 at 7pm, and then use some of the distraction techniques above to avoid snacking at other times. That way I'm eating the most food before during and at the end of my most problematic time.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    • Water with Stur water enhancer
    • Coffee
    • Popcorn (100 calories for a whole bag and the air fills you up)
    • Whenever you eat a carb, pair it with a fat
    • protein with a fat
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Personally, I embrace the snack habit. I plan the amount of calories and act accordingly.

But my favorite tricks to avoid snacking:

*Replace snack with hot beverage, such as coffee or tea.
    * Chew gum, especially mint gum. The taste sends an "all done" signal plus gives your mouth something to do
    * Brush your teeth. Ditto with the toothpaste flavor sending a "we're done eating here" signal, plus good dental hygiene.
    * 10 minute break. Not always practical, but cravings tend to last only a few minutes. Getting up and doing something different often reduces or eliminates this feeling. I prefer getting up and walking, but it could be anything from looking at a cat video to coloring for a few minutes.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    It's kind of an annoying habit anywhere outside the house or car, but I find that chewing bubble gum and blowing ridiculous bubbles like I did in high school keeps me out of trouble.

I'm not usually much of a snacker, but road trips are my kryptonite. It's the perfect storm of boredom and lack of opportunity to physically move that makes snacks twice as deadly to my calorie goal and protein macros.
  • Nimbkar
    Options
    You guys are awesome! These are such great suggestions. I'm going to bookmark this thread and come back and re-read it. In thinking more about my eating pattern, I notice that I try to stick with breakfast-lunch-dinner and no snacks because I like to have a substantial meal when I eat, and that allows me to eat 400-600-700 calories and still hit my target. Although I might find myself mindlessly snacking out of boredom or procrastination at any time, I'd say 80% of the time it happens between noon and 5pm. So, combining some ideas above, maybe I should switch to an IF pattern of eating 600 calories at noon, 400 at 3pm, and 700 at 7pm, and then use some of the distraction techniques above to avoid snacking at other times. That way I'm eating the most food before during and at the end of my most problematic time.

I agree with you. If you eat substantial meals like 700-800 calories then you would not have as much urge to snack between meals
  • francesca_grey
    francesca_grey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    @robingmurphy I am eating on exactly the schedule you proposed and it has worked better than any other I've tried. You still have to confront the hunger at some point if you're in a deficit, but I find it much easier to deal with in the mornings. I also have scheduled times for herbal tea and coffee.