Net carbs

Options
Does anyone know if there is a way or why MFP doesn't calculate net carbs. It looks like I am eating to many but when you figure out the net carbs I'm ok. Like eating a whole avocado, it is a lot of carbs if you don't figure in the net carbs. Any thoughts??? Diane...new to MFP

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    calculate net carbs 1 of 2 ways - search for entries that are labelled net carb; or subtract fiber from your overall carb count; MFP will not change to net carbs as it is a global platform, where many countries already naturally include net carbs in their food labels
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if there is a way or why MFP doesn't calculate net carbs. It looks like I am eating to many but when you figure out the net carbs I'm ok. Like eating a whole avocado, it is a lot of carbs if you don't figure in the net carbs. Any thoughts??? Diane...new to MFP

You have to manually do it or select entries that are labelled net carb.

You also may want to verify that entry for avocado you're using. An entire medium avocado has 12 grams of carbohydrates which isn't what I think of as a lot.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone brought this up, and apologies for my ignorance, but....I've seen ads and now in my grocery store the ice cream product called Rebel. Example, on the front it says 6g Carbs entire pint, but when I read the label, it will say serving size 1/2 cup, Carbs 14g. Is this discrepancy related to this net carb discussion?
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you are on a computer (not phone app) you can install a script that keeps track of net carbs.

2lx2b22vxl5r.jpg
  • dianefinnegan1
    dianefinnegan1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I did find some of my foods in the search area that have (net carbs) behind the listing. Otherwise I calculate them off of the nutritional label.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone brought this up, and apologies for my ignorance, but....I've seen ads and now in my grocery store the ice cream product called Rebel. Example, on the front it says 6g Carbs entire pint, but when I read the label, it will say serving size 1/2 cup, Carbs 14g. Is this discrepancy related to this net carb discussion?

Yes
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    If you are in the US or Canada and don't want to create your own net carb entries, the easiest way is to track fiber as well as carbs and do the subtraction in your head. Super easy, and personally I think fiber is an important thing to track anyway.

If in the UK or most other countries, beware that standard labels are going to already be net carb.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Looks like they are talking about net carbs: https://rebelcreamery.com/products/salted-caramel

Personally, when I was experimenting with keto, I subtracted fiber but not sugar alcohols (here it looks like they are subtracting some of the sugar alcohols), because I didn't eat many of them and didn't particularly want to, and because there's some formula by which only a percentage count that I didn't bother learning. I liked tracking fiber (which I think is a good thing to encourage eating more of) and subtracting that.