Corn.. what do u think???

Aross83
Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
I read this artical... i want to know what people think.. Feeding animals corn?? yes-no?

http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/corn__it_s_what_s_bad_for_you.htm

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Not the ones I eat. I don't eat corn and neither do my pets, (there is no grain in any of the dog and cat food).
  • I like to buy the grass fed beef I think it tastes tons better . The way the raise them is more natural for the animals more humane.
    Its also how beef used to be raised decades ago . I am hoping it becomes more and more popular so the price goes down.
  • I like corn, just not the thick sticky kind that holds junk food together! It is a fact that feeding animals corn instead of there natural diets causes all sorts of trouble with the quality of the product, they even feed it to fish if farm raised, who in nature would never eat that. It makes for un-nutritious and vitamin deficient meat.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Yeah I always knew that grass fed animals was better but didnt realize what effect it has... No more corn for me..
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    I just watched a really interesting documentary called Food Inc. Talks about all the problems we have created with the proliferation of corn. Corn is heavily subsidized in the US, so it is fed to almost all slaughtered animals (because it is so cheap). That is why beef is cheaper than broccoli in the US. Also, almost everything in the grocery store is a rearrangement of corn. Obesity and diabetes run rampant in the US and food companies that engineer food out of corn are a big part of the problem.

By the way, E. coli O104:H4 was a direct result of feeding cattle corn. The E. Coli began to appear in manure which gets caked on cow's hides. (Most cattle in the US sit in their own manure until slaughter). The manure made its way into the meat. The runoff from the cow fields began to effect leafy greeens like spinach.

Anyway, Farmers Market meat is the best. Second is grass-fed. Unfortunately, the good stuff is always more expensive because they aren't using subsidized corn.
  • It's really indigestible. We rarely eat it. When we do, we try to eat it in the most whole form possible - fresh or frozen.

I don't have a strong opinion about feeding it to animals. It doesn't seem to be natural, dogs are carnivores by nature and cows are grazers, etc, so I say leave well enough alone. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean you should force-feed it to every living thing on the planet.

Oh, but we have to stay on a budget, so we eat CORN at EVERY MEAL and feed it to our goldfish and our hamsters and mothers-in-law!
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Oh, but we have to stay on a budget, so we eat CORN at EVERY MEAL and feed it to our goldfish and our hamsters and mothers-in-law!

Mother-in-law's are fine. :)